Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Canyon?
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
imran
What's that interesting feature on the bottom right of the image? Looks like some sort of canyon and seems to be at least 35-40 km from our current position. Thanks to Marcia for posting this on the HZ Board.

http://s04.imagehost.org/view.php?image=/0...b_lz_sw_10m.jpg
imran
Guess nobody knows or cares.. dry.gif
dot.dk
No matter what it is I'm afraid our little rover will be to tired to ever get there sad.gif

But maybe I'm wrong if they just keep wheel.gif biggrin.gif
tedstryk
Actually, I don't think anyone knows.
Fred
Although it doesn't look like a crater, according to this image...

it looks like it's in the same place as one of the large craters
Pando
Looking at it again, that does look like an eroded rim of a really old crater...

imran
Wow that crater is almost buried! Based on that scale the distance to that "crater" rim is about 30 km. Assuming we drive 100 meters a day, that would take us 300 days to get there! Of course once we get to the etched terrain everything will come to a stand still. We can all dream right smile.gif
mook
And while we're in dreamland, how about that HUMUNGOUS crater to the southwest? I'd like to see the walls on that puppy....
tedstryk
Looks to me to be about the same size as the other big crater. Just much, much fresher. I wonder, even if Oppy never dies, if it could make it there, as the ejecta blanket looks really rough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.