Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Conferences and Broadcasts
imipak
As @doug_ellison pointed out on Twitter, the authors of the latter paper have made an old, unfortunate error. It's apparent in the first sentence of the introduction...

Supersonic wind-tunnel tests of 0.813 m disk-gap-band parachutes were conducted in a 10 x 10 ft cross section of
a closed-loop wind tunnel.

rolleyes.gif
djellison
My gripe was the drawing of the parachute that was marked out in inches - without even, anywhere, saying 'inches'. Just '22.00 approx' on the width. Oh, and the well known ounces per square yard.

nprev
Man...If there's ONE lesson that should have been permanently learned for a reason I won't rehash in every aspect of UMSF, this is it. sad.gif
djellison
The 10ft x 10ft wind tunnel doesn't bother me so much - it was probably built as a 10ft x 10ft wind tunnel, like the 120ft wind tunnel at Ames - that's what it's called.

But unless it's in the form of a pseudo proper noun like that - it is utterly horrifying (as Scott suggested in marsandme a sol or so ago) that they would use these outdated units.
Paolo
the 6th issue of 2010 of the Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets is now accessible for free
http://www.aiaa.org/content.cfm?pageid=322...=25&sItem=6
lots of Stardust-reentry related paper, ExoMars, human exploration of asteroids etc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.