Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cool New Pic
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > Mars Global Surveyor
tedstryk
MGS daily pics can sometimes seem a bit redundant, but today's is really cool. Sure would be cool to have a lander panorama from down there!

http://barsoom.msss.com/mars_images/moc/20...1/23/index.html
Mongo
Interesting. What immediately caught my attention were the numerous dark streaks emerging from the lowermost bedding layer above the valley floor. Some of them could have been interpreted as boulder tracks, but several (especially the prominant pair of streaks one-third of the way from the left-hand edge of the upper cliff face) must surely be caused by escaping water. It is also significant, in my opinion, that all of the streaks seem to originate from the lowermost of the many bedding layers.

If this photo is of part of the lower flank of Arsia Mons, then I assume that the water would likely be of volcanic origin, implying that volatiles are still rising at the throat of the volcano (since I think that the streaks must be of fairly recent origin).

This would fit in with the recent atmospheric methane data as well.

Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.