Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Iapetus albedo dichotomy mystery solved?
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini's ongoing mission and raw images
john_s
The papers by Tilmann Denk and I on understanding the albedo dichotomy of Iapetus are now published online in Science, and there are associated releases here:

Cassini site

Southwest Research Institute site

Edit: Graphic describing the model here

Maybe we've finally got this figured out...

John
Shaka
smile.gif Neat as a pin!
ngunn
QUOTE (john_s @ Dec 10 2009, 07:13 PM) *
Maybe we've finally got this figured out...

As I recall you had it pretty much figured out before the 2007 flyby. smile.gif

Juramike
Very nice! Thanks for posting it and the link to the model!
ugordan
QUOTE (ngunn @ Dec 10 2009, 09:39 PM) *

Yep, and seeing that model output (also posted here way back when) pretty much nails the case as far as I'm concerned.
john_s
QUOTE (ngunn @ Dec 10 2009, 08:39 PM) *

Yes, it just took us till now to get it written up and published, though we've added some refinements, so the model has changed a bit. smile.gif

Here's the link to the actual articles in Science Express.

Note that we're using the global Iapetus map from UMSF's own Steve Albers for comparison to the model: there's no official Cassini map that shows the albedo pattern quite so well.

John
hendric
Great job John! I'll wait for the official Science magazine release to hit my mailbox, as I can't stand reading research articles online.

So, being good scientists, I imagine you will now propose an experiment to confirm the results. My guess would be to launch a 10km beach-ball in orbit around Saturn and watch how it changes colors over the eons. smile.gif
ngunn
QUOTE (john_s @ Dec 10 2009, 08:51 PM) *
Here's[/url] the link

Not freely available, unfortunately, to 99.999999% of humanity. I think it's time to 'phone a friend'.
tedstryk
QUOTE (ngunn @ Dec 10 2009, 11:13 PM) *
Not freely available, unfortunately, to 99.999999% of humanity. I think it's time to 'phone a friend'.

The supplements are free.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.