Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spacecraft Imaging for Amateurs
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Conferences and Broadcasts
elakdawalla
OK, time to toot my own horn: my second-ever freelance article has just been published in the January issue of Sky & Telescope, and it's titled "Spacecraft Imaging for Amateurs." It is printed near the back, on page 76. It names names! Mentioned by name in the article are a few people known well here at UMSF:

Michael Howard
Ted Stryk
Mattias Malmer
Jim Bell (an Honorary Amateur?)
Jan van Driel
Tayfun Oner
Marco Di Lorenzo
Astro0
John Spencer (another Honorary Amateur?)
Richard Hendricks

And unmannedspaceflight.com is mentioned numerous times. However I am forced to admit here that while the folks listed above received a few printed letters' worth of fame, I never did mention Doug in the article. So I'm doing it here: Thank you, Doug, for establishing the place that has fermented such a rich brew of amateurs and academics producing marvelous images from our loyal robot emissaries!

Here's the web supplement to the issue. Hope you guys enjoy it!

--Emily
djellison
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 20 2009, 06:26 AM) *
fermented

I always wondered what the hell we were doing... BREWING. That's it smile.gif
Astro0
Thanks Emily for giving all of us that sense of notoriety that we obviously all love to get (ha, ha) laugh.gif

Seriously, we thank you as well as Doug for making UMSF the best space place ever! for armchair explorers.
hendric
Thanks Emily for extended my 15 minutes of fame an additional full minute! smile.gif
Astro0
Just received my complimentary copy of S&T today. Very nice article Emily.
Wish that the reproduction of my image was a bit better, but ney, at least it's credited correctly.

Thanks for a great article and for the full credit that you have given us.
Also, the plug for UMSF is great. Maybe we'll get a few new 'armchair explorers' out of it wink.gif
nprev
I feel like a heathen for asking, but anyone know if the Jan S&T hit the shelves yet in the US? Haven't been near a magazine rack for a few weeks..
mhoward
QUOTE (nprev @ Nov 23 2009, 10:24 PM) *
I feel like a heathen for asking, but anyone know if the Jan S&T hit the shelves yet in the US? Haven't been near a magazine rack for a few weeks..

FWIW I checked at a local bookstore tonight and they didn't have January yet.
nprev
Ah. Thanks, Mike. Should hit the stands pretty soon, though.
mhoward
January issue is now on the news stands (if it wasn't before). I picked up my copy, and it's a great article. (And I'm not just saying that because my name is mentioned. It's a cool overview of the advances in amateur image processing.)
JohnVV
Nice i will need to get a copy .This site ,and a few other, are a great help in learning how to work with the images
nprev
Thanks for the heads-up, Mike. I checked Fri & the local Barnes & Noble didn't have it yet; will pick one up tomorrow!
nprev
...and finally found a copy!!! Excellent article, Emily, and mad props to all the UMSF imagewizards who got much-deserved recognition in the journal of record for amateur astronomy!
elakdawalla
The article is now available for download as a PDF:
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/81544647.html

Enjoy!
Ant103
Absolutely great Emily because in France I was unable to have this magazine.
Thanks for your work smile.gif

I think you forget to mention me in your post nevermind…
PhilCo126
Indeed, thanks for pointing this out Emily... It makes us wonder what those "amateurs" will be able to produce once space telescopes and 40meter class ground observatories really start to directly image Exoplanets wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.