Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Le Bourget 2009
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Conferences and Broadcasts
Paolo
The two-yearly Le Bourget Air & Space show has opened today just outside Paris.
I will be there next saturday, looking forward to seeing some interesting unmanned spacecraft (in addition of course to a lot of airplanes including some on which I worked)
Anatoly Zak has already placed some pictures taken at Le Bourget today on his site http://www.russianspaceweb.com/lebourget2009/index.htm
Note in particular the German Mona Lisa moon lander, that was already there two years ago and a small model of the latest version of Fobos Grunt.
vikingmars
smile.gif MSL (real size mock-up) is on show at the CNES exhibit (see the size of its wheels...). Enjoy ! smile.gif
Paolo
wow!
MahFL
Unless that man is very short, the mast seems taller than I thought. That will give us better views of wherever Curiosity lands.
Phil Stooke
"Note in particular the German Mona Lisa moon lander"

Fascinating picture... for all the wrong reasons. Why do people design things like this? We've known for centuries that three legs are stable and four are not - check out the wobbly tables in any eating establishment! And such a high centre of gravity - it would be unstable on any serious slope. Consider the landings of Surveyors 3 and 5 - three bounced twice down a crater wall, and five skidded down a small, steep crater wall. Mona Lisa would fail in either situation. But Surveyor was a tripod with widely splayed footpads and a low centre of gravity, and it was a very robust design.

Phil
stevesliva
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jun 17 2009, 08:55 AM) *
Fascinating picture... for all the wrong reasons. Why do people design things like this? We've known for centuries that three legs are stable and four are not

Or if you're procuring office chairs on casters, five are stable and four are a huge liability concern.
Paolo
A selection of my le Bourget pictures
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.