Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: enceladus (and other moon) topography
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini's ongoing mission and raw images
DrShank
Here is a recent version of the global topographic map of Enceladus I have been working on.
These data were first shown at the March 2008 LPSc, and I am working on updates.
It is in simple cylindrical, so the poles are stretched way out at top and bottom, but the depression
at the south pole is visible along the bottom. also visible are several quasicircular depressions (dark in this rendering)
in equatorial and temperate areas. These are 1 to 1.5 km deep! I cant say more until the paper
we have submitted has been reviewed but will do so then. (The data do not include images acquired
last autumn, sadly, but will soon enough)!
Bjorn Jonsson
Thanks for posting this - this is probably the most interesting Cassini-derived DEM I've seen so far. The terrain near ~(370,320) looks a bit weird and almost like a photo and not a DEM. I assume the very dark stuff there must be gaps due to low solar elevation?
DrShank
QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ May 21 2009, 05:31 PM) *
Thanks for posting this - this is probably the most interesting Cassini-derived DEM I've seen so far. The terrain near ~(370,320) looks a bit weird and almost like a photo and not a DEM. I assume the very dark stuff there must be gaps due to low solar elevation?

this is strictly topography with no shading or other information. High is white, low is dark. there are areas of better quality of course, and i do have a few stray bits i havent added yet. it is and will be in progress until after last data returned!

i also have some high res data, which i have shown previously on Photojournal.

paul
Byran
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2009DPS....41.6109M
Title Basins and the South Polar Terrain of Enceladus: Hotspots vs. Coldspots, and More Evidence for Crustal Spreading and Convergence

https://www.wakusei.jp/news/activities/impa...1013-toyota.pdf

JohnVV
well the Abstract answers a question i had
was it derived from stereo images or more like my " pseudo topo" maps

it's nice and comparing a real one to what i draw , my "created ones "look a lot like the real thing .
I guess i must be drawing them right
Byran
ftp://ftp.lpi.usra.edu/pub/outgoing/lpsc2009/full204.pdf

Global maps topography Rhea and Diona
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.