Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Appeal to the VIMS team
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Titan
ngunn
The VIMS data for the Huygens landing site have now (presumably) been presented at LPSC 2009 so the time seems ripe to renew this request. Did those attending the presentation see an un-annotated image, or only the same figures that appear in the abstract? Did anybody ask about it? Maybe it has already been posted online somewhere to coincide with the conference?

I know there are a few of us here who would dearly like to see how the immediate vicinity of the touchdown point appeared to VIMS without that obstructing 'R'. It was such a wonderful achievement to obtain this image, and that makes it all the more frustrating that a crucial part is blocked from view.

When I have a poster of the full un-annotated VIMS image on my wall alongside the Huygens DISR I will be grinning like the cheshire cat. smile.gif
Jason W Barnes
An appeal to get me in trouble, sounds like. Christophe Sotin and Ralf Jaumann are working on papers about the T47 landing site observations. There will be an unannotated image in those papers, for sure. VIMS in general doesn't concentrate on image advisories or press releases -- that's not a value judgment, just a policy that we've pursued and a choice that we've made. We do concentrate on publishing peer-reviewed scientific papers. It does take longer, but I think that the result is sweeter.

So unfortunately I don't anticipate releasing a full image until the paper is accepted or until the data become public, whichever comes first.

- VIMS Jason
ngunn
Thanks for that clarification Jason. No mischief intended! I will now gladly wait my turn and look forward to those papers. I just wanted to be sure we weren't missing something that was already out there somewhere, or available for the asking following the conference presentation.
Jason W Barnes
No problem, dude wink.gif I think that T47 is public July 1, so no later than then, probably!

- VIMS Jason
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.