Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bootleg Postcards : Unofficial Biographies of Robotic Spacecraft
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Conferences and Broadcasts
djellison
Below - details of the hinted at talk I'm giving at JPL in a couple of weeks. Local UMSFers are welcome to come along - it'd be nice if I could give an idea of numbers ahead of time, so if you think you can make it - drop me an email ( djellison@mac.com ) and I'll let those that need to know, know. Sadly, my schedule for the two days I'm in LA is so packed, that I can't really envisage the sort of meet up you guys enjoyed when Stu popped over - but it'd be great to see whoever can make it!

CALTECH MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATION (CMA)
A Leadership Forum
presents
Bootleg Postcards: Unofficial Biographies of Robotic Spacecraft
with
Doug Ellison
Creator and Site Administrator, Unmannedspaceflight.com
Date: Tuesday, March 17, 2009
4:45 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., von Karman Auditorium, JPL

Since the landings of Spirit and Opportunity in 2004 and the rapid web
release of every image they take, an enthusiastic online community of
amateur scientists has formed around the rovers and other robotic space
missions. This community has developed tools, tricks, and techniques to
make the most of every image and track the progress of our robotic
envoys creating mosaics and videos that have been referred to as “bootleg
postcards.”

Space exploration aficionado Doug Ellison is a multimedia producer by day,
and founding administrator of the well-respected "Unmannedspaceflight.com"
forum by night. Join us as he presents a history of the web-faring,
space-data-sharing community, highlights some of its achievements, and
explains why the new way to reach out . . .is to let people in.

Doug Ellison's passion is science communication. In particular, he has a
unique perspective on the outreach activities of the National Aeronautics
and Space Administration and the European Space Agency, and on the
collective power of armchair enthusiasts from around the world who have
reveled in the remarkable science returns from ventures such as the Mars
Exploration Rover and Cassini missions.

As an ambassador for the amateur space imaging community, Mr. Ellison has
given many lectures on the rovers and other Mars missions to schools, local
astronomy societies, and the British Astronomical Association. He produced
Rover Audio Updates with Jim Bell for The Planetary Society website, has
presented to scientists at Cornell University and the Europlanet
conference, has written for The Planetary Report, and has been interviewed
on The Planetary Society’s Planetary Radio program and The Sky at Night BBC
television series.

These events are free. All members of the Campus and JPL communities and
retirees are welcome. Caltech personnel and guests can access von Karman
Auditorium via the external gate.

They must be talking about someone else biggrin.gif
nprev
Yeah, I'm gonna go see this guy's talk, whoever he is... rolleyes.gif tongue.gif
lyford
On St. Paddy's Day, no less!
ustrax
I'm here to see the day Doug crosses the pond and remains captive of the native jplenites... wink.gif
Stu
Everyone going to Doug's JPL talk: can you do me a favour and look for my jaw? I lost it there somewhere, when it dropped for the 1000th time... wink.gif

Break a leg Doug. Most famous spacey auditorium in the world... literally drenched in space exploration history... echoes to the ghostly footsteps of Sagan and the other greats... no pressure At All...! wink.gif
imipak
I think the rest of us will need video... or it won't have happened! wink.gif Will there be an official (or unofficial) webcast / downloadable video footage?
lyford
OK, I am waiting in the hall right now.... I hope I got the time right !!!! smile.gif

lyford
Hey you! No photography allowed!
Click to view attachment

nprev
A grand time was had by all! Veronica (vmcgregor) graciously took shots of us UMSFers fortunate enough to attend. Great talk, great company, and be prepared for some pretty cool shots (and possibly videos!) smile.gif

And Stu is right...you can feel the history in the Von Karman Hall. It's physically small, but oh so huge...
RoverDriver
Stu's jaw is in good company. Scott's, Sharon's and mine are still there, in VK. The talk was fabulous, and the gift that Doug brought for us is awesome! I can't believe you guys spent so much time and dedication in this amazing gift. I'm sure it will be very very useful for during all those long MB integrations on the cobbles during the Endeavor drive. Scott will definitely borrow the MERnopoly during those boring Spirit recharge Sols.

Thank you!!!

Paolo
ngunn
QUOTE (imipak @ Mar 5 2009, 09:23 PM) *
I think the rest of us will need video... or it won't have happened! wink.gif

Like many others no doubt I got second best through the post yesterday: the latest edition of 'Planetary Report'. The lead article - Bootleg Postcards. Splendid! There was my favourite Mars landscape from an artistic point of view - the achingly desolate, delicate 'dunes and clouds at Meridiani', product of a totally unplanned, impromtu online collaboration that took place on the open UMSF forum. (No mention of Cassini, but you can't include everything in one article I suppose. Another time perhaps?)

EDIT: Of course there is nothing second best about 'Planetary Report' itself!
imipak
Mine arrived today, and was sitting in the unopened post pile until I read this comment. Six pages! Lots of example pictures! At last, something I can show people at work when they ask what that funny T shirt's all about. Nice one, Doug! smile.gif
hmaffin
Ooh yes Doug's copy arrived today - after reading the comments here I just had to open it and read it (Sorry Doug!) - what a fab article - I'm so very proud smile.gif
tedstryk
It is quite impressive! I wish I could have been there for the presentations.
PhilCo126
Does anyone have a .pdf version of that article ?
jamescanvin
It's not up yet. But remember that .pdf versions of the Planetary Report are put up in the members section of the society website.

Got my copy in the post yesterday - great to see UMSF in print. smile.gif
climber
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Mar 21 2009, 11:38 AM) *
Got my copy in the post yesterday - great to see UMSF in print. smile.gif

So did I!
Nice also to see names of "ours" wizards & route mapers!
djellison
QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Mar 21 2009, 10:04 AM) *
Does anyone have a .pdf version of that article ?

Want to read it - get the magazine. That's sort of the point. Sorry Phil.
lyford
If I may, allow me to post some Bootleg Postcards of the JPL Presentation: Unofficial Photojournalism of the UMSF Master:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

More to Come!
lyford
And the crowd goes wild!

Click to view attachment

Actually, there were quite a few in attendance; this was taken during the sound check. biggrin.gif
But I thought it would be fitting to do a panorama in the place that holds so much history, and provide photographic proof of Mr. Ellison's Adventures.
mhoward
Great panorama! That is one impressive room. Well it's not the room that's impressive, I guess, so much as the models.
lyford
Yes, it is quite awesome. From Left to right - Half size MRO, Full Size Voyager, Cambot smile.gif, Full Size Doug, Half Size Cassini, Full Size Huygens, barely visible on the floor.
nprev
Here's a goodie. From L to R: Lyford, Doug, my wife Kay (behind the MER!), ElkGroveDan, me, RoverDriver.
RoverDriver
QUOTE (lyford @ Mar 21 2009, 08:32 AM) *
Actually, there were quite a few in attendance; this was taken during the sound check. biggrin.gif

The time slot used for this presentation was quite odd (4:45pm) with most of the people already on their way out. Doug did his presentation at Caltech during lunchtime. Usually it is the other way around, noon at JPL and in the evening at Caltech. I have no idea why they arranged it this way.

Paolo
PhilCo126
Did JPL make a video of the lecture ?
nprev
They did, actually, with professional equipment I might add. Don't know the whens or ifs about any release, though; hopefully Doug can enlighten us when he's through traveling.
RoverDriver
QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Mar 23 2009, 10:01 AM) *
Did JPL make a video of the lecture ?

JPL TV taped the lecture in HD. They als recorded the display and they are probably doing the editing right now. MER should get a copy of the edited version and am quite sure Doug will get a copy too. Maybe they will put it on a public web site.

Paolo
djellison
QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Mar 24 2009, 02:16 AM) *
JPL TV taped the lecture in HD.

HD!! You'll be able to see the beads of sweat when I was waiting for the slides to go catastrophically wrong smile.gif

If I get a copy, I'll get it online in some way - Vimeo, Youtube etc.
djellison
DVD is on its way- once I've got it - I'll get it uploaded smile.gif
djellison
Not the best quality - but it'll have to do I'm afraid - it's converting at Vimeo now - should be ready in half an hour or so

http://vimeo.com/4361503

climber
Already 10 minutes waiting time: Great success Doug. I guess I'd better wait our friends from the other side of the pound get to bed wink.gif
djellison
Vimeo says it's being converted - so another 45 mins to go. Call it 22:15 UT, then give it a ctrl-refresh

(update, Vimeo lies - it's taking for ever....just look at that URL every now and again . At some point, hopefully, there will be a video biggrin.gif)
Tesheiner
Seems to be working now.
Unfortunately for me, at the wrong time. Breakfast now and then running to work. I'll have a look this evening (Madrid's time).
Decepticon
Great Video. smile.gif
ustrax
Proud to be a clandestine onboard this wonderful vessel of discovery... smile.gif
djellison
Better quality version - http://vimeo.com/4432230
SFJCody
Cool talk. Wasn't the first planetary photomosiac you put out that NEAR-Shoemaker descent one? I remember seeing that on usenet.
djellison
Yup - probably - they features on Space.com a long LONG time ago smile.gif
PhilCo126
Superb video and a great performance by Doug explaining 5 years of " Participatory Exploration " on UMSF.com cool.gif
However, I expected to find it here; http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/events/lectures.cfm?year=2009
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.