Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Printed USGS shaded relief Moon map based on Clementine data
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Earth & Moon > Lunar Exploration
Jeffrey
Does such a thing exist? I looked through the USGS catalogue and saw lots of Moon maps but none from Clementine. The latest was from 2002 and was color-coded topography, which isn't what I want. I know they have Map-a-Planet but I'd prefer one the USGS printed and published.

Jeffrey
Phil Stooke
The maps you need are these:

http://astrogeology.usgs.gov/Projects/MapB...on&scale=5M

Maps 1218, 2276, and 1326 - far side, poles and near side. Each one comes as just shaded relief, and as shaded relief plus albedo.

They are based on pre-Clementine sources. There is no post-Clementine version of these maps on paper. The color topo sheets you've seen include an updated relief drawing (filling the south polar gap) but it wasn't published separately.

Phil
Jeffrey
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 2 2009, 04:22 PM) *
The maps you need are these:

http://astrogeology.usgs.gov/Projects/MapB...on&scale=5M

Maps 1218, 2276, and 1326 - far side, poles and near side. Each one comes as just shaded relief, and as shaded relief plus albedo.

They are based on pre-Clementine sources. There is no post-Clementine version of these maps on paper. The color topo sheets you've seen include an updated relief drawing (filling the south polar gap) but it wasn't published separately.

Phil

Thanks!

So I-1218, 2276 and 1326 have a south polar gap?
Phil Stooke
A thin sliver between opposing terminators, between Orientale and the South Pole, was never seen by Lunar Orbiter. It's blank on these earlier maps. It was filled in by Clementine, and it's drawn from Clementine data on the topo map you had already seen. That updated relief drawing is the version on Map-A-Planet.

Phil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.