Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Galaxy Zoo 2 is now "live"
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Beyond.... > Telescopic Observations
Stu
GALAXY ZOO 2 launched today, as you'll know if you live in the UK and have been near a TV or radio, as Chris Lintott has been EVERYWHERE!

http://cumbriansky.wordpress.com/2009/02/1...-zoo-2-now-live
imipak
I caught Chris on "Today" this morning, and he was really, really good.

UK residents (or others who can access a UK-based HTTP proxy smile.gif ) can "Listen Again" to Chris' three minute slot, here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00hhk3y ; Chris is up at 2h 39m. I find that interviewer's proud display of (feigned?) ignorance and stupidity on any matter relating to science, technology, engineering, et cetera, intensely annoying*. Happily, Chris was a consumate professional, getting the essentials over with vivid analogies and examples, and plugging the URL at the end -- although the interviewer then repeated it wrongly... rolleyes.gif ) I wonder if the BBC will ever go back to producing science programmes that don't patronise the viewer/listener... (an honourable exception -- R4's "Science in Action".)

(* "...get off my lawn!!", etc, etc. )
helvick
I caught that this morning just before heading out to work and he was very good although I have to wholeheartedly agree with you on the apparently stupid interviewer.

The BBC does better than most - tonights Horizon programme on Fusion with Brian Cox seems to be pretty good - as are most things that Brian gets involved in - so all is not lost.
Juramike
Whew!

I was starting to panic that I couldn't get back into the beta version over the weekend after I'd tossed my cookies.
(I think the technical term is "cleared cookies")
dvandorn
Mike, I work for a big cable company, doing internet tech support over the phone. One time, I had a somewhat elderly woman on the phone whose internet connection seemed to be running slow. I asked her, "Have you cleaned out your cache and cookies recently?" She replied with an indignant "I beg your pardon!"

rolleyes.gif

-the other Doug
Juramike
The "My Galaxies" feature of Galaxy Zoo2 is now active.
Sunspot
QUOTE (imipak @ Feb 17 2009, 07:57 PM) *
I caught Chris on "Today" this morning, and he was really, really good.

UK residents (or others who can access a UK-based HTTP proxy smile.gif ) can "Listen Again" to Chris' three minute slot, here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00hhk3y ; Chris is up at 2h 39m. I find that interviewer's proud display of (feigned?) ignorance and stupidity on any matter relating to science, technology, engineering, et cetera, intensely annoying*. Happily, Chris was a consumate professional, getting the essentials over with vivid analogies and examples, and plugging the URL at the end -- although the interviewer then repeated it wrongly... rolleyes.gif ) I

Most newsreaders/journalists at the BBC come from a Politics/Arts background.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.