Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Push-Frame imaging with HD movies from a plane
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Image Processing Techniques
djellison
I was flying home from Dublin, and wondered if I could put together noodle-like observations by pulling frames out of movies. My camera will do 1280 x 720 movies - so in portrait, I recorded out the window for a bit. It works better pointing 'down' rather than 'out' - and some worked better than others - but in some ways this is analogous to push-frame imaging a bit like MARCI or THEMIS.

Full images here - http://is.gd/j2uv - attached, a downsampled version of probably the best one.

Hoping for some clear skies on my US trip in March to do this for longer-noodles, pointing straight down, zoomed in a little.

Doug
mhoward
That's a really neat image. Depending on your route into California, you may be passing over some truly spectacular, even Mars-like terrain. You could get some *amazing* results.
RJG
A super image, must try that on my next flight.
You might also look for some good stereo pairs amongst those frames.
I had lots of fun on a flight over the Alps a while back using the plane's motion to shift me from the left eye position to the right eye position (I was on the port side of the plane). I got a very pronounced stereo effect, particularly enhanced by the presence of a little medium altitude cloud.

Rob
ElkGroveDan
It looks like the rim of Endurance Crater.

algorimancer
I've had similar thoughts with regard to photographing the coastline during a flight between Texas and Florida (Southwest seems to hug the coast routinely rather than taking the direct route across the Gulf of Mexico). Never got past the contemplating, though I have taken a scattering of pics. One neat thing you can do is pin the corners of an image to the surface in Google Earth (it allows distortions from rectangular), thus providing your own imagery to explore.
AndyG
Cheshire, north Shropshire - that's my off-the-cuff guess. Could you narrow down the time and direction for the above picture, Doug?

(There's some archaeology in it)

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.