Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pbs Nova - Welcome To Mars (january 4, 2005)
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
AlexBlackwell
Welcome to Mars
PBS NOVA
January 4, 2005

I highly recommend Steve Squyres's accompanying short Flash narration, Mars Up Close, which is on the website above.
Pando
Thanks Alex, this is a one to watch smile.gif
Marslauncher
That was just damned good, made me shed a tear (I Kid you not!) It will indeed be a very sad day when the rovers finally stop working, to say they died would imply they were alive, My name is there etched on Opportunity on a DVD (gold I think) and it is soo important that these little critters do as much as they can.

I CANT WAIT UNTIL MSL

yeah Phoenix will be cool, they should have made more goddamn rovers though!

John

EDIT :- that came across quite spontaneous and erratic.... oh well I am a bunch of emotions right now, It will be really cool if they survive long enough to have relays with MRO

John
Decepticon
Great animation.

They used real rover images to create views of the rover within its viewing area.
dot.dk
Someone who have captured the program for us living outside US? sad.gif
hendric
QUOTE (dot.dk @ Jan 5 2005, 02:44 AM)
Someone who have captured the program for us living outside US?  sad.gif

CSPAN.ORG has it archived; you should be able to see it there:

http://www.cspan.org/search/basic.asp?Resu...0&image1=Submit

or do a search for "Mars".
Pando
hendric, that's the Monday's press conference on CSpan. PBS NOVA had a quite interesting broadcast Tuesday about the rovers which I don't believe would be archived at CSpan (or anywhere for that matter)...
Bill Harris
You can get that NOVA show on videotape from WGBH Home Videos. Contact info from PBS.org or via Google.

--Bill
MizarKey
QUOTE (Decepticon @ Jan 4 2005, 06:24 PM)
Great animation.

They used real rover images to create views of the rover within its viewing area.

That was my favorite part of the special too...the way used actual images and the special effects blended to make it appear as if you were standing on the rim of endurance watching Oppy move into the crater...too cool.

For those of you who didn't get a chance to see it on PBS...check out their website...you can buy the DVD -

PBS NOVA Welcome To Mars

Also, check the schedule (those of you in the US) as my local channel is showing it again on 1/9/04 at 2am.

Eric P / MizarKey
mhoward
you can buy the DVD -

I am so there. I agree, the whole show was great, but those computer recreations were astonishing. I would buy the DVD just for those.
dot.dk
Unfortuneatly you can only buy the DVD/VHS in the US sad.gif mad.gif
akuo
Hi dot.dk. I looked into getting the DVD also and found that Nova doesn't deliver (globally). But! Spacestore.com does have the earlier DVD (link) and I'm sure they will also get this one. They even suggest to email them about DVDs not in their stock. I've ordered various stuffs from this shop before and plan on getting the DVD from there.
djellison
FWIW - I believe it's being aired on Discovery here in the UK on the 8th and 28th of Feb at 11:00, 15:00 and 21:00. I THINK. If not - then it's a repeat of the previous PBS program

Doug
SFJCody
Welcome to Mars (requires a bittorrent client)

Don't forget to buy the DVD/watch the show on TV. Treat this as a 'preview'.
MizarKey
QUOTE (dot.dk @ Jan 7 2005, 07:00 AM)
Unfortuneatly you can only buy the DVD/VHS in the US sad.gif mad.gif

If any of you are 'jonesin' for the most recent PBS MARS DVD and cannot obtain it in your country...please email me at mizarkey@sbcglobal.net and we'll see if we can't work out something to where I can order it and ship it along to you. I won't charge a fee but I reserve the right to end the offer if I get overwhelmed with requests.

Eric P / MizarKey
djellison
I may well be in touch one they release the new one to get both smile.gif

Doug
djellison
Just watched the bit-torrent wink.gif

It's not a bad program, BUT, one big mistake

They're talking about how they wanted Spirit to drive out off the lander forwards - but it cant because of obstructive airbags - whilst showing....the back of the rover and the rear petal smile.gif

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.