Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mars Express observes aurorae
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > Mars Express & Beagle 2
ngunn
Just noticed this:
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Express/SEMY1B5DHNF_0.html
antipode
So, faint, maybe not visible at visual wavelengths, but still - a possible target for MEX VMC?

P
ormstont
You're way ahead of us wink.gif We'd love to try and capture some images of the aurorae from VMC but I have the feeling that they might be just too faint for VMC to capture. We should have a crescent season coming up though when we return to VMC ops in 2009 so we might put in some long exposures and see what we get. We're also keen to try and catch meteors this way if we can. Hopefully they'll be some willing people on UMSF to take a look at what we get!
RoverDriver
QUOTE (ormstont @ Dec 2 2008, 08:34 AM) *
You're way ahead of us wink.gif We'd love to try and capture some images of the aurorae from VMC but I have the feeling that they might be just too faint for VMC to capture. We should have a crescent season coming up though when we return to VMC ops in 2009 so we might put in some long exposures and see what we get. We're also keen to try and catch meteors this way if we can. Hopefully they'll be some willing people on UMSF to take a look at what we get!

If you see any, let me know so I can move the rovers laugh.gif

Paolo
Doc
This is quite an ambitious plan. I guess the new aurorae map will come in handy, that is if specific points are imaged and not randomly (magnetic regions). Careful planning required hear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.