Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two HiDef Test Clips with Cassini images from my film
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini general discussion and science results
stephenv2
Okay, thanks to Stu bugging...er gently reminding me, I'm going to post work-in-progress here and hopefully it will be of interest to some. These are two short HD (1080p) clips taking from my 16-bit 4k (that's roughly 4000 X 3000) master files. They are excerpts from the 3 shot, each about 45 seconds, that were output to 15 perf 70mm (IMAX) film and screened at the Sony IMAX theatre in NY last month as my first film-out test.

These are still rough, fairly simple shots and have some glitches, so I'm not posting them widely yet, so please don't link to them yet. I only have WMV files at this point (a lot of render time here, so no multiple versions yet). And these have no scientific accuracy - just done for aethestic reasons (but they are all Cassini images, no 3D CGI or rendered models etc.)

Ring Twirl 2 - 4 Mb

Saturn Moons Flyby - 8 Mb

Rough Cut of new Teaser Trailer - 124 Mb

A couple of full-rez (but very compressed JPGs here). A little blurred do to motion blur

Ring Twirl frame

Saturn, rings, moons,

Dominik
Incredible!! ohmy.gif
hendric
I.....I.....I....
(no words can say just how amazing these look)
I cannot wait to see them on an Imax theatre.

When will you get to the Galileo photos? smile.gif
stephenv2
QUOTE (hendric @ Oct 22 2008, 12:49 AM) *
I.....I.....I....
(no words can say just how amazing these look)
I cannot wait to see them on an Imax theatre.

When will you get to the Galileo photos? smile.gif

Thanks for the compliments - there's much better stuff to come.

I will be getting to Galileo down the road - harder to work this imaging recipe of mine due to number and rez of photos, so it will not be featured as is Cassini in the film - just a flyby. But, the film will incorporate imagery from most of the space missions - Mecury, Apollo, Voyagers, Galileo, Messenger, several of the Mars mission as well as most all of Hubble's shots (that's the first major section of the film that will be complete).

But if you can point me to any high resolution Galileo shot for my "image base" - basically I need at least 2000 pixels in vertical or horizontal (with sharpness holding up okay at 100% zoom) to use in the film at all. Otherwise, it's relegated to distance background.

It's possible a Galileo project could be done at HD which is about 1/6th rez of IMAX though...
hendric
Looking at Exploitcorporations' work in the Europa thread, and Volcanopele's in the Io thread, it looks like most of it is < 2k pixels. Too bad. I guess we'll just need to send another imaging mission to Jupiter! smile.gif
Juramike
I just saw a 2 minute film clip from "Outside In" at a special preview at the Raleigh IMAX theatre.

It was jaw-droppingly AWESOME.

Seeing Saturn projected on an IMAX screen in high resolution is really inspiring and should be great outreach for non-scientists.

(There was also a plug for donations for the project, at only $1 a month until the target release date of 11.11.2011 (you get a free DVD of the movie). Totally worth it. Details here.

[Full disclosure: I'm in "Team Enceladus"]
hendric
Juramike,
Your good review convinced me, I'm down for $25 a month.
stephenv2
Thanks so much guys - it really means a lot. It was exciting to be able to let people see these images at the scale intended.

BTW - the clip featured a couple of beautiful mosaics from UMSF Gordon and Mattias members who generously donated images to the film.
Ian R
Good grief! ohmy.gif This is really coming along Stephen. I can only hope that one of the few images I contributed to this project makes the final cut! biggrin.gif
stephenv2
Ian - your stuff will make it into the more complex shots for sure - they are nice stuff with some parts I very much need. But this clip was some fairly simple test shots that I had to put together in a single weekend, so there was not time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.