Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scott Maxwell on Mars 3.0...
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Tech, General and Imagery
djellison
http://www.inquisitr.com/2614/space-has-a-...-scott-maxwell/

AWESOME lecture. The MER engineering version of Squyres as far as public speaking.

UMSF makes a cameo smile.gif
CosmicRocker
Doug: I remember when you posted this, but I had a lot going on at the time and did not manage to watch the video. Tonight, after being reminded by Paolo about Mars 3.0 in the Opportunity thread, I came back to your post to watch the presentation. I agree with you. It was awesome, and Scott >is< the engineering version.

I think I understand where they're trying to go with this. I think I am going to have to watch it a second time to catch all the stuff I missed while trying to multitask here while I listened. You can be proud of the UMSF cameo appearance. The entire forum and space exploration enthusiasts everywhere can be proud. Space exploration is moving in a good direction. smile.gif
Stu
I had the great pleasure of meeting Scott - along with Sharon and Andy (see Doug's post where they all went to see and, amazingly, SIT ON "Thrust 2"! ) - last week, and am happy to confirm that (as well as being a fellow space uber-geek!!) he is indeed one of the most enthusiastic and dedicated space exploration advocates I've ever met, and talking with him I really got the sense that here is someone who, if given the opportunities and the resources, could inspire and enthuse a whole new generation of space enthusiasts.

He's hugely supportive of what we do here on UMSF (as are both Sharon and Andy, of course and, I'm pretty sure, many people involved in the MER mission) and is very keen to get people like us more involved in the exploration of Mars. And if anyone can do it, he can.

I'm not going to give a word by word report of our meeting, but I will say it was an absolute treat for me, not just to meet people involved in the MER mission - unashamed hero and heroine worship on my part! It was all I could do not to drop to my knees and chant "We're not worthy! We're not worthy!" Wayne-style right there in the pub! - but just to meet such lovely, generous and enthusiastic people who share my own passion for space exploration. (They also said some very nice things about my writing, for which I was truly grateful).

I know it's a geeky thing to say, but seriously, to be sitting in a pub in my town, next to some of the people who actually Drive Rovers On Mars, has to be one of the most amazing things I've ever done... Thanks guys! smile.gif

Click to view attachment

nprev
smile.gif ..rock on, uberspacegeek-san, rock on! smile.gif Think that most if not all of us feel the same way.
djellison
My version of the same thing biggrin.gif

Doug
ustrax
Is it only my impression or has Doug been doing some exercise?... wink.gif
AndyG
Ustrax, if that's the case, and Doug's been enjoying ballooning, then I can only conclude... rolleyes.gif

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.