Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Meteor airburst above Mars
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Mars
ugordan
This has got to be one of the coolest Mars images yet: http://themis.asu.edu/zoom-20080813a

A meteor burning up above the ground leaving no crater, only a record of a powerful shockwave hitting the ground!

You can see how the ground zero area god disturbed very little as the shock was coming almost straight down and the darkened outer portion is where dust was blown away as the radial portion of the shock picked up in strength. It's where trees would have been leveled if this were Earth biggrin.gif

One can infer the direction it came from, from below in the image moving in a 11 o’clock direction judging by lack of dust there (the shock would also principally be moving downward along the flight path). The strongest disturbance is further along the flight path from ground zero where the shock would be reinforced by the kinetic energy of the body (see recent Tunguska simulations on this effect).

Awesome stuff, even if coming from someone who likes big things going BOOM.
Stu
Good find!

I like this one of the clouds above a crater...

http://themis.asu.edu/zoom-20080610a

nprev
Son of a... blink.gif

Yes, good find. We'll be burying the first Mars habitats rather promptly after landing, yes?

(Jeez; think I'm actually serious, here!)
Juramike
QUOTE (ugordan @ Aug 18 2008, 11:20 AM) *
This has got to be one of the coolest Mars images yet: http://themis.asu.edu/zoom-20080813a

Way cool!

I wonder how recent it is? I'd think something like this would get recovered in dust fairly quickly. Are there any previous images of the same area?

-Mike
SteveM
There's another image of it on the CRISM site..

Here's their color view:

It's impressive, and since CRISM got the spectra, they should get some sense of the surface cover and the exposed dark area. BTW, does this have anything to say to the old debate over the streaks at Victoria. rolleyes.gif

Steve M
volcanopele
Since there is a CRISM view of this feature, is there a HiRISE image of it?
tasp
Er . . .

Mars 3 ??

(just kidding)

SteveM
Yes, there is an associated HIRISE image here and also at U Az that shows a fresh impact crater at about 11 o'clock of the blast area. It looks like part of the impactor made it to the surface.

Steve M
nprev
Boy howdy, and I'm not kidding, future Mars colonists will be troglodytes by necessity, which is extremely ironic.

IIRC, every place on Mars gets whacked with something comparable around every 20 years or so based on MGS data. I don't want one of those damn things to hit me, doubt that anyone else does! blink.gif
dvandorn
QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 18 2008, 10:45 PM) *
IIRC, every place on Mars gets whacked with something comparable around every 20 years or so based on MGS data.

You know, I've heard that a lot lately. And yet... there do not appear to be any gross changes at either Viking site more than 30 years after they landed that could be intepreted as ejecta damage from close impacts. And neither site has obviously suffered an actual recent impact, at least from the lander's POV from horizon to horizon.

Granted that the Pathfinder site was only established a little over 10 years ago -- but there's no sign of changes to that site attributable to direct impact or secondary debris impact, either.

Doesn't appear that a habitat at any of those locations would have felt the need to duck and cover over the past few decades, anyway.

The longer this discussion goes on, the more desperately I desire a seismic network on Mars. That would answer the question once and for all. mad.gif huh.gif

-the other Doug
dvandorn
Oh, and as for this particular crater -- I may be imagining things again, but I have a very definite memory of looking over detailed MGS pics of this crater, very high resolution in fact. I was impressed by how different this crater looked from other Martian or even Lunar craters, that *this* looked like a recently-dug hole in the ground. I also recall a discussion in the detailed caption about the origin of the separated dark rays, though airburst wasn't one of the options I recall being mentioned by Malin et. al.

Anyone else recall seeing this feature in the MGS archives sometime in the last five to ten years?

-the other Doug
J.J.
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Aug 18 2008, 10:13 PM) *
The longer this discussion goes on, the more desperately I desire a seismic network on Mars. That would answer the question once and for all. mad.gif huh.gif

-the other Doug

No kidding--to say nothing of what it could teach us about the Martian interior.
mcaplinger
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Aug 18 2008, 08:19 PM) *
Anyone else recall seeing this feature in the MGS archives sometime in the last five to ten years?

Perhaps not this particular crater (I didn't search the MGS fresh crater catalog), but certainly there are many such similar features in the MGS captioned releases; see, e.g., http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2006/1...te14/index.html

This is old news.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.