Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bulgarian participation on Phobos-Grunt confirmed!
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future
Zvezdichko
It's confirmed (http://www.stil.bas.bg/message/press-kit-February2008.pdf )!

A Bulgarian instrument Lulin-Phobos will be mounted aboard Phobos-Grunt which is slated for launch in 2009. The aim of the project is to monitor the radiation dose on the way to Mars and on the surface of Phobos.

This is a unique experiment which has never flown before. The results from Lulin-Phobos are expected to show us whether human travel to Mars is safe and how a long interplanetary flight will affect the crew.
nprev
Cool! You must be justifiably quite proud, ZV! smile.gif
Zvezdichko
I'm happy of course, but I'm also worried, because the small interplanetary probe has grown to a fat international project. Thus, I think Ted may be right, because we have a lot of options of failure now...

Paolo
Good news, thank you!
By the way, Bulgaria already had instruments on Russian probes. I remember that the CCD camera on Phobos was Bulgarian-built
tedstryk
Glad to see that the instrument was indeed included!
Zvezdichko
The instrument IMO is very small. RADOM-7 which will fly aboard Chandrayaan-1 is smaller than a pen, Lulin-Phobos is probably smaller. The good thing is that even Phobos-Grunt fails at MOI or Phobos, our project will probably be classified as successfull.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.