Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mars Rovers Top Science List
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
dot.dk
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The conclusive discovery by a pair of wheeled robots that Mars once had vast pools of water and possibly could have harbored life was chosen by the editors of the journal Science as the most important scientific achievement of 2004.

http://www.space.com/news/science_top10_041216.html

Deserved cool.gif
djellison
Damn right.

I almost feel like just giving the USA some money as a way of saying thankyou smile.gif I feel guilty enjoying all this astonishing stuff - without having contributed smile.gif

Doug
tedstryk
Don’t worry about it. Just think of it as something paid for by our bourgeoning budged deficit.
TheChemist
You feel guilty, Doug ? rolleyes.gif
We get for free both the missions, and your amazing imaging work. biggrin.gif
djellison
TECHnically - I paid for MEX - and thus, in some small way, paid for relay of a TINY ammount of MER data.

smile.gif

Doug
BruceMoomaw
You needen't feel guilty, Douglas -- despite that rating by "Science" (and the Beagle fiasco), arguably the single most important Mars discovery this year was actually the detection of methane by Mars Express. (To say nothing of what MARSIS will reveal when they get it working, which I think it highly probable they will.) If you really want to pay your dues, just promise to arrange the assassination of Colin Pillinger if he shows any sign of actually persuading the ESA to back another one of his ideas...
djellison
Its a work-in-progress . We're thinking of exploding beard-trimmers

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.