Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exit Pool
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Bobby
My guess is we are probably within 3 months of Opportunity leaving Victoria Crater?

Which SOL will she leave?

I predict SOL 1640
MahFL
djellison
Oh hell.
BrianL
Dibs on "never". Yes, that's right. My incredible prognosticating record is hitching its horse this time to some catastrophic event that will see Opportunity unable to leave Victoria. Hey, why be just another wrong number, when you can be either spectacularly wrong or frighteningly prescient? wink.gif

Brian
briv1016
I can't imagine them leaving before the spring equinox (Dec 26) so that they can go up to the wall w/o shadow as well as being able to get a pan of Cave Verde in full sunlight. Also, don't forget that solar conjunction is between Nov 18 and December 24. So my guess is February 1st. Can someone please translate that to a sol number?
tuvas
I'm going to go with March 1st, or never.
alan
But we just got here
nprev
THAT is a poser. I'm inclined to vote "never" myself, but think I'll go with, say, November 12.

Burns is gonna be absolutely fascinating, but I also think that gaining access to all spots of interest on the cliff face as well as the scree rocks will be problematic; it'll take a lot of time due to careful planning and taking "baby steps" to look out for sand traps. If Oppy survives, there will come a time to back out & at least go look at other interesting places on the rim of Vicky.

I don't see her setting course for other destinations, though, unfortunately.
ilbasso
We need to define more closely what we mean by "leave". Is it that Opportunity would be (1) going back up to the crater rim and out onto the plain again, or (2) exiting the crater's vicinity for other locales?
nprev
True. I interpreted it to mean physically exiting the interior of the crater.
monty python
SOL 1675

What does the winner get? I already have several Bentleys. unsure.gif
BrianL
QUOTE (BrianL @ Jul 11 2008, 06:07 PM) *
Dibs on "never".

Yes!!! My perfect record remains intact. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.