Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subsolar point
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Inner Solar System and the Sun > Sun
jmknapp
Anyone know of a web app or program that shows the current subsolar point on the Sun on the Earth (and displays the latitude & longitude)?
vk3ukf
QUOTE (jmknapp @ Jun 30 2008, 04:21 PM) *
Anyone know of a web app or program that shows the current subsolar point on the Sun on the Earth (and displays the latitude & longitude)?

Hi jmkapp,

if you mean the points on the Earth that are directly below the celestial object in question.

I use a satellite tracking prgram called Wxtrack by David Taylor.

It shows those points for the Sun and the Moon as a large yellow circle and a grey cricle with phases.

Give that a whirl. You will need to set it up to your location on Earth and timezone.
If you want to follow any spacecraft such as the ISS (Space Station) you will need to download the keps (keplerian elements) for the spacecraft of your choice. Get the keps from Celestrak website.
jmknapp
QUOTE (vk3ukf @ Jul 7 2008, 03:03 PM) *
I use a satellite tracking prgram called Wxtrack by David Taylor.

Thanks for the tip--I just tried that program & it seems very nicely done. I wish the Sun & Moon lat/lon were printed as well as shown graphically though. I want to test the accuracy of another program & need a benchmark to compare against.

Nice to see T. S. Kelso is still in business--haven't tried satellite tracking in a while. It's kind of a trip to predict when a piece of, say, Soviet space junk from 1960 will be visible overhead, and then there it is.
vk3ukf
QUOTE (jmknapp @ Jul 8 2008, 01:04 AM) *
Thanks for the tip--I just tried that program & it seems very nicely done. I wish the Sun & Moon lat/lon were printed as well as shown graphically though. I want to test the accuracy of another program & need a benchmark to compare against.

Nice to see T. S. Kelso is still in business--haven't tried satellite tracking in a while. It's kind of a trip to predict when a piece of, say, Soviet space junk from 1960 will be visible overhead, and then there it is.

No worries Joe, I'll keep this in mind, something is ringing a bell somewhere in my head, I just can't quite hear the tone.

If I remember or find something, I'll fly back in.

Kevin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.