Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Icy Satellites Besides Doine For Tb
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini general discussion and science results
tedstryk
Does anyone know if Cassini will obtain any good images of any Icy satellites besides Doine on Tb? The reason I ask is that I had no idea prior to seeing the imagery in the raw data that it would obtain the image it did of Tethys, or even the somewhat good imgage of Doine during Ta. On another tangent, does anyone have any idea when the raw data will be released from the cruise phase of the mission (Venus, Earth, Jupiter)?
M_Welander
It's fairly easy to calculate if Cassini will be in a good position to image any particular satellite (see this thread). Unfortunately, just because it happens to be in a good position to take images does not mean it'll actually do so, so I'd be very interested in knowing the answer to that question as well.

Actually, I'm interested in the answer to both questions.
volcanopele
There are no targeted observations of any other satellites during Tb other than Dione and Titan. We do have Optical navigation images planned, but those are just single clear frames. We don't always image every thing we can (like Rhea on this encounter) for the simple fact that there are 75 orbits in this mission and we will have no trouble getting complete coverage of all the major icy satellites by the end of the mission. Don't forget that there are other instruments and other targets (like Saturn and the rings) that deserve attention.
tedstryk
What about the release of raw data from the cruise phase of the mission?
volcanopele
Sorry, I'm not sure. You may have to wait till the PDS release for that.
tedstryk
Any idea when that will be? I am really curious to see the Venus images. I was suprised one was never released. Even if it showed a blank disk, it would have seemed it would have been good publicity.
volcanopele
July 1, I think. One year after the start of the primary mission.
Decepticon
Does that mean there was Jupiter Data Not released?
djellison
Heres where you want to look
http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/Admin/reso...ms_cassini.html

Unfortunately - the schedule/plan for PDS release of data appears to not be available - so I have no idea when it should be released.

I think the usual delay is 6 - 12 months - but that would surely mean that Venus and Earth flyby imagery - not to mention the stunning Jupiter flyby imagery and other data sets should have been released some years ago!

Doug
tedstryk
Cassini sure has given us some great views of Saturn's icy satellites. I put together a little montage from the last few months. The picture show over the next four years should be exciting!
Decepticon
Thats a great pic. You should add Rhea in there also.
tedstryk
Rhea is furthest to the right.

Ted
Decepticon
Doh! ohmy.gif
alan
a more detailed description of cassini's tour was posted in hyperion thread
http://www.planetary.org/saturn/cassini_tour.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.