Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A name for MSL
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > MSL
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Ipparchus
wheel.gif I think MSL should be given a better name! Like what it was done with the MER rovers(Spirit-Opportunity). We could propose some! I propose the names "Eureka!" and "Innovation". What about you? We could then(after some months maybe) vote for the best of them!
As old as Voyager
How about 'Leviathan' due to MSL's monsterous stature and menacing profile?
peter59
I propose name "INVINCIBLE". Name is based upon SF novel "The Invincible" by Stanislaw Lem (1967). One of the best SF novels you've probably never heard of.
ngunn
Great book. Not sure the name is very auspicious, taken from that source though.
dmuller
MUV ... the Martian version of the Earth's SUVs, but environmentally friendly with no CO2 emissions (just dont mention the nuclear reactor on board) rolleyes.gif
djellison
'MSL' will do probably.

But with a laser beam and nuclear power...the only name you're going to call it is 'sir'

Doug
nprev
Okay...Mister MSL. I'd like to see an entire high school football team even try to call him a nerd...it'd get ugly, quickly! tongue.gif

On a slightly less serious note, how about the Sagan Memorial "Martian Overall Natural Science Traversable Exploration Rover"?
centsworth_II
I still like "Ms. L". We just have to figure out what the "L" stands for. Lulu?
nprev
Uh...."Large?" rolleyes.gif

I dunno. Anthropomorphizing is utterly subjective, but to me MSL looks like it's got a definite masculine vibe going on. I wouldn't pick a fight with it!
dvandorn
I can hear the commercials now....

"SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY! Come see the Monster Martian Rover, laying WASTE to Mawrth Valley! SUNDAY! Watch while it blasts rocks to bits with its bitchin' LASER BEAM! SUNDAY!"

laugh.gif

-the other Doug
nprev
Yep. As I said a few months ago, I've already cut the sleeves off of my spacesuit, and the dual-beer helmet-mounted delivery system has passed CDR...
dvandorn
In all seriousness (well, at least partial seriousness), I'd love to see the MSL team have the guts that the MER team lacked, and go ahead with the most obvious and appropriate name possible for MSL:

Marvin.

Of course, when MSL radios back a request for a PU238 explosive modulator, I'm not quite sure what we're going to do... except to duck, cover and wait for the Earth-shattering kaboom... huh.gif

-the other Doug
centsworth_II
QUOTE (nprev @ Jun 14 2008, 11:30 AM) *
...to me MSL looks like it's got a definite masculine vibe going on. I wouldn't pick a fight with it!

You gonna mess with this?
Click to view attachment
ngunn
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Jun 14 2008, 05:50 PM) *
Marvin.

Douglas Adams took his literary cue from Stanislaw Lem. He'd probably have voted for 'Invincible' but crossed his fingers under the table.
PFK
QUOTE (nprev @ Jun 14 2008, 05:30 PM) *
I dunno. Anthropomorphizing is utterly subjective, but to me MSL looks like it's got a definite masculine vibe going on.

MArtian CHemIStry MObile Laboratory huh.gif
helvick
I second Doug's call for the MSL team to have the conviction to celebrate an inspirational Martian. I'm assuming he was referring to this early effort by the MER team to call MER-A, Marvin and MER-B, Daffy.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

The fact that there is yet another legendary Marvin in Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide is a serious plus in my book.
centsworth_II
MARVIN the MARs maVIN.
jabe
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Jun 15 2008, 07:37 AM) *
MARVIN the MARs maVIN.

along same lines..just spelled differently

MARVAN.. MARs miniVAN
Pavel
I don't think geeky names like "Marvin" have a good chance. Just remember missions that have flown so far. Many missions are names after historic ships. I think MSL could be "Mayflower".
charborob
If you try to pronounce MSL, you get "Muscle", which seems to me an appropriate name for the beast.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jun 16 2008, 10:58 AM) *
Many missions are names after historic ships.

It must be historic. It's got it's own web site.
Click to view attachment
mchan
QUOTE (charborob @ Jun 16 2008, 07:17 AM) *
If you try to pronounce MSL, you get "Muscle", which seems to me an appropriate name for the beast.

I tried it and got "Missile". ph34r.gif
Ant103
And what about name like "Hope"?
vmcgregor
I predict a MSL naming contest is coming soon rolleyes.gif
nprev
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Jul 15 2008, 04:31 PM) *

Yeah...as in "Sure hope the EDL system works!" tongue.gif (Sorry; couldn't resist!)
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Jul 15 2008, 06:31 PM) *

I guess this wouldn't be a favorite of the "Spirit" and "Opportunity" haters (the names, not the craft). I personally liked those names, even before the bearers of them performed such feats as to make any name they carry one for the ages. But Hope is too smarmy even for me. Let's save it for a killer-asteroid deflection mission when it really counts!
dvandorn
I dunno -- I'm overwhelmed with an image of our intrepid rover cresting a hill with a golf club clutched in a manipulator claw, saying, "Hi, Mars 'Science Lab' Hope here. I thought I was here to do a USO show -- where are you hiding Jerry Cologna?"

rolleyes.gif

-the other Doug

"Oh, we're off on the road to Pavonis! A chasm like none that we've seen..."
climber
QUOTE (vmcgregor @ Jul 16 2008, 04:39 AM) *
I predict a MSL naming contest is coming soon rolleyes.gif

Coming from you, it is surely NOT to be called a prediction!
Thank you for the info wink.gif
Phil Stooke
I'm thinking 'Canyonero'

Phil
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 16 2008, 01:16 PM) *
I'm thinking 'Canyonero'

Let's hope the MSL -- I mean Canyonero -- is still fully loaded when it gets to Mars.
http://x11.xanga.com/e5ca82075713768858955/q46256229.bmp
Stu
My ideal name would be "Lewis and Clark" but I'm sure many people would get confused, thinking there were two rovers and wondering if MSL was "Lewis" or "Clark". rolleyes.gif

My other choices would be "Prospector", "Seeker" and my current fave, "Pilgrim".
nprev
Sounding like a broken record, I know, but still gotta go with "Sagan". The tribute aspect is obvious, but would also like to turn modern kids on to his body of work. Most of his books still hold up, and most importantly still inspire imagination.
djellison
Technically, I think Carl has been honored in that way already with the renaming of the Pathfinder Lander to the Sagan Memorial Station.
nprev
Yeah, I thought of that, but unfortunately Pathfinder has been right off the radar screen of the general public for more than a decade now. Kind of wish they'd waited for one of the MERs or MSL, but of course 1) Carl had just recently passed, and 2) who even knew then that the MERs or MSL would ever fly?

Well, failing that, how about Lowell or Schiaparelli? It seems to quite possibly be heading for a "canal", of sorts...
Vultur
Burroughs? Wells?
djellison
Richard Cook mentioned a naming contest in his Von Karman lecture (see the JPL website). It'll happen, just not yet.
mps
MSL naming contest announced:
http://marsrovername.jpl.nasa.gov/
ilbasso
For my money, it needs to be something like Intimidator, Nuclear Invader from Earth, or something like that.

Or, "Please God, just this once, let me get a sample into my lab for analysis"
mcaplinger
The contest is only open to US students in grades K-12, so all of you adults and/or foreign nationals can keep your ideas to yourselves. rolleyes.gif

The contest is being run by Disney, so a dignified and appropriate name is practically guaranteed. unsure.gif

Unfortunately my reading of the rules is that none of my immediate family members are eligible.
dvandorn
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 19 2008, 09:14 AM) *
The contest is being run by Disney, so a dignified and appropriate name is practically guaranteed. unsure.gif

Oh, gods and goddesses -- I can hear the news commentators now:

"The new Mars Rover, Goofy, landed on Mars today..."

unsure.gif

-the other Doug
climber
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Nov 19 2008, 05:12 PM) *
"The new Mars Rover, Goofy, landed on Mars today..."
-the other Doug

As a matter of fact, Mickey Mouse turned 80 yesterday nov 18th! Let's hope MSL will last that many months...
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 16 2008, 04:13 PM) *
Sounding like a broken record, I know, but still gotta go with "Sagan".

If it was an inter-galactic rover exploring billions and billions of worlds I'd agree, but since it's going to Mars I have to favor Bradbury.
djellison
Nuclear power and a laser beam?

"Sir"

or

"Whatever it wants to be called"

Doug
ugordan
I, for one, welcome our new laser-wielding overlord.
PhilCo126
Judging its camera = Gort ( robot from The day the Earth stood still ) laugh.gif

Gonzz
Chuck Norris laugh.gif
mcaplinger
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Nov 19 2008, 09:03 AM) *
...since it's going to Mars I have to favor Bradbury.

Since it seems inevitable that we are going to have to listen to everyone's opinion about what the name should be, you might make an effort to at least conform to the rules:

"If your idea is the name of a person, the person cannot still be living."
dvandorn
QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 19 2008, 11:20 AM) *
Nuclear power and a laser beam?

"Sir"

or

"Whatever it wants to be called"

Well -- that certainly settles the question of the landing site, doesn't it? Where does such a beast land? Wherever it wants to!

rolleyes.gif

-the other Doug
climber
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 19 2008, 07:25 PM) *
Since it seems inevitable that we are going to have to listen to everyone's opinion about what the name should be, you might make an effort to at least conform to the rules:
"If your idea is the name of a person, the person cannot still be living."

Well, Bradbury would not qualify but if I understand what Doug is saying, "Ray" would biggrin.gif
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 19 2008, 12:25 PM) *
Since it seems inevitable that we are going to have to listen to everyone's opinion about what the name should be

Ouch. Would you rather sit out on the porch grandpa until dinner's ready while we have this chat?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.