Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A tribute to Phoenix' SSI
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > Phoenix
vikingmars
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif YES : 5 wheels to the SSI and its wonderful team (Chris Shinohara, Mark Lemmon...) !
SSI derives, with new capabilities, from the Mars Pathfinder's successfull IMP camera.
Remember : the IMP was a great instrument. It provided nice 360° panoramas of the Martian surface, radiometric and atmospheric informations and brought back fantastic surface images showing the Sojourner microrover and science data of the Martian surface.
To celebrate SSI's success, let's lok back to IMP's "Insurance Pan" taken the 2nd Sol after landing in July 1997. This "Insurance Panorama" was taken just before the IMP was raised to its two-meter-high mast. This unique perspective captures (from left to right) in the close foreground : the hi-gain antenna, a color chart, low-gain antenna mast, solar panels, and the two ramps leading down to the surface, with the Sojourner microrover (at right) close to "Barnacle Bill" rock, and ready to roll to "Yogi" (the rounded boulder at far right)... smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Ant103
Hi Olivier,

It's a great picture, from a great lander for a great landscape smile.gif.

I am wondering why do you have apply a so hard anti-noise filter to the image, it look like a water painting unsure.gif .
vikingmars
QUOTE (Ant103 @ May 31 2008, 10:48 AM) *
Hi Olivier, It's a great picture, from a great lander for a great landscape smile.gif. I am wondering why do you have apply a so hard anti-noise filter to the image, it look like a water painting unsure.gif .

smile.gif Dear Ant103 Thanks ! Because the original data was so downgraded and compressed (see herewith the comparison of a "before/after"), that I had sometimes to reconstruct missing data, creating synth blue, green or even red filters and sometimes the images were noisy also due to transmission defaults. Also, please, keep in mind that the original images were TINY : 256 x 248 pixels only !
Enjoy the original pan (if I may say...) : rolleyes.gif
Click to view attachment
tedstryk
Great work! SSI was originally built as a virtual clone of IMP. However, they later replaced the CCDs with the current ones, giving much better resolution (Pathfinder, with no orbiter support and totally dependent on DTE communication, couldn't have taken advantage of it - as you pointed out, even these little images are horribly compressed).
Cargo Cult
QUOTE (vikingmars @ May 30 2008, 11:58 PM) *
To celebrate SSI's success, let's lok back to IMP's "Insurance Pan" taken the 2nd Sol after landing in July 1997. This "Insurance Panorama" was taken just before the IMP was raised to its two-meter-high mast.

Feels very 'hunkered-down' as a result - and really accentuates quite how ridiculously rocky and lumpy that landscape was.

QUOTE (tedstryk @ May 31 2008, 02:30 PM) *
Great work! SSI was originally built as a virtual clone of IMP. However, they later replaced the CCDs with the current ones, giving much better resolution

Does that go some way to explaining why the SSI pictured on the Phoenix website is so scratched and battered around the lens slots? I'd just assumed that it was some rigourously tested flight spare, and the camera that actually flew on Phoenix would be much better - but if it's the actual camera, and the result of major electronic surgery on an existing flight spare, it's more understandable...

Also, is it just me or are there screws missing? Extreme mass savings!

Still seems to work just fine, obviously...
um3k
QUOTE (Cargo Cult @ May 31 2008, 12:49 PM) *

Smiley face! smile.gif
centsworth_II
Nice eyelashes!
Click to view attachment
djellison
That SSI isn't the Phoenix one. The phoenix one is easy to spot - it has a lump on top to accomodate two spare MER CCD's. That's more likely the spare for MPL etc.

Doug
climber
Merci Olivier!
This is incredibely good rendering. I feel good to be there again smile.gif
Josh Cryer
vikingmars, that is amazing! Cudos to you. Well done! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.