Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: extra solar probes
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Pluto / KBO
cawest
Has anyone heard of any plans for a extra solar system probe? i read some time ago about they might use the Ares 5 to get it out there.
ngunn
I think I've posted this link before. You're probably aware of it, but here goes anyway:
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~diedrich/sola...m_beam_sail.pdf
nprev
I had not seen this before, Nigel; thanks!

An interstellar medium mission makes a lot more sense if it's dual-utilized as a technology demonstrator; like it!
tedstryk
It would be nice...I would like to see a quickie flyby of Uranus or Neptune in the process (although such a high-speed encounter would be far from optimum, if there is a spacecraft actually going, that is better than a better designed encounter that never happens).
ngunn
QUOTE (tedstryk @ May 22 2008, 04:45 PM) *
I would like to see a quickie flyby of Uranus or Neptune in the process

The trouble is the actual velocity to be acquired during the sun encounter would probably be too uncertain beforehand to allow for targeting anything much, except the big OUT THERE.
mchan
That is an interesting read apart from the more well-known fictional works of one of the authors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_Benford
Paolo
There are some infos on the Ares launched interstellar probe and other possible missions here
Celeritas
QUOTE (cawest @ May 21 2008, 11:13 PM) *
Has anyone heard of any plans for a extra solar system probe? i read some time ago about they might use the Ares 5 to get it out there.

Does anyone have a good guess at how fast (in terms of kph) an Ares V rocket could propel a probe of roughly New Horizons mass (~5oo km) out of the solar system? How much additional acceleration could a Jupiter and/or Saturn gravity assist add to this speed?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.