Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Photo while landing
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > Phoenix
tuvas
Just found this space.com blog entry, sounds interesting.

http://www.livescience.com/blogs/author/leonarddavid/

The May 25th entry into Mars’ atmosphere by the Phoenix lander may be under the watchful lens of NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO).

The MRO project has been investigating the possibility of imaging the Phoenix Mars lander during its entry, descent and landing period - as the probe plunges toward the red planet’s arctic region.

MRO would use its High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) gear in attempting to catch the Phoenix in action as it high-dives to its touchdown site.

“The attempt requires that Phoenix be in the HiRISE field of view at the very moment that it temporarily crosses Phoenix’s path,” James Erickson, MRO Project Manager at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory told me.

There's more, but this should be enough to wet your appetite.
volcanopele
Wow, that secret lasted long...
tuvas
QUOTE (volcanopele @ May 21 2008, 11:59 AM) *
Wow, that secret lasted long...

Yah, that went pretty quick. It's been on the blog for a few days now.

I just don't understand why they don't use CTX, it's far more likely to find something, even if it is beyond it's resolution. But, well, I'm sure there's a reason... Sufficeth to say, I might have to use my old contacts to see if they succeeded on Monday morning...
volcanopele
yeah, there is about a 30% chance of success. So cross your fingers.

That was on the blog for several days?? I was told about two days ago and was told, specifically, to keep my mouth shut about it (by two people).
tuvas
May 19th, 2008

So, well, yes. LOL. There is advantages to having formerly worked at HiROC, but not still there... I have access to the same things as everyone else. James Erickson stated 20% chance in the blog entry.
climber
From Phoenix blog (JPL) : Hence estimates suggest that there may only be a 25% chance that we can capture an image of Phoenix during the parachute phase.
djellison
When I read about HiRISE trying to get it - I thought "That might be cool - an entry plasma trail". Then when I was putting together an entry timeline for reference on sunday night, I realized 'hold on - that's when the chute is out...I must have this wrong'

I don't.

Cool smile.gif

Doug
edstrick
It they do catch it during parachute descent, the chute will be large, round, and not dirty! SHOULD stick out like a sore thumb.
ugordan
Wasn't MEX the one that was supposed to try and catch the entry fireball?
djellison
Yes. But between finding out that HiRISE was going to be imaging, and finding out it was going to be imaging after 'chute deployment, I assumed HiRISE would be fireball hunting as well.

Doug
edstrick
I think MEX was trying to observe it, according to reports about a week ago. I don't know how reliable the reports are, off the top of my head.
climber
From ESA : Observations before and during Phoenix descent
It is planned that two Mars Express instruments, the High Resolution Stereo Camera (HRSC) and the Ultraviolet and Infrared Atmospheric Spectrometer (SPICAM), will be turned on for observations during the Phoenix EDL.
The observations are aimed at visually capturing the trail of the lander's trajectory to the Martian surface, studying the characteristics of the atmosphere during the lander's descent, and monitoring the lander's performance during EDL.
It is not possible to know the exact route Phoenix will take when descending to the surface, and so it is possible that the instruments may not be looking in the correct direction during the event. This makes the likelihood of success less than certain.
Skyrunner
So possibly we get a repeat of those stunning launch photographs smile.gif And having two SCs increases the odds, even thought there looking at the same nominal trajectory, since the have different observation angles.

Man I'm getting nervous! I'm even going to interrupt my diet with a bag of peanuts rolleyes.gif
Stu
I'll look forward to seeing those ESA images... should be released shortly before the Sun enters its red giant phase... tongue.gif
simonbp
The press release shows MO lined up too, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere that THEMIS will be imaging entry (probably beyond resolution), so presumably it's just there as a relay?

Simon wink.gif
djellison
I think Odyssey needs to be in knuckle-down-and-do-nothing-else bent-pipe relay mode smile.gif

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.