Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Browser advice needed...
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
Stu
Need some advice about web browsing, specifically the Firefox broswer. As an AOL user (ok, don't start, I've been with them from day 1 of my internet life and have found them great to be with! wink.gif ) I use their own browser, but I keep hearing how wonderful Firefox is, so I'm thinking about using it. Should I? Is it that wonderful? And how good is it at downloading and saving video clips from places like YouTube etc, which I gather it can do?

Just after advice, thanks in advance smile.gif
paxdan
Yes you should. Firefox is excellent. It really is. Just give it a go, if you don't like it you can always switch back. But i doubt you will. Tabbed browsing, split windows and epic plug-in support, plus it is really swift.
Juramike
In my opinion, Firefox is vastly superior to Internet Explorer.

Normally, I always use Firefox, but for a few specific applications (our corporate ordering system is one example) I'm forced to use Internet Explorer. I really notice the difference.

-Mike
Stu
Thanks both, I appreciate the feedback.
centsworth_II
QUOTE (Stu @ May 18 2008, 04:48 AM) *
Need some advice about web browsing, specifically the Firefox broswer.

I used AOL for years and finally switched to Firefox over a year ago. Loading and using Firefox went smoothly for me and I'm just barely computer literate so I rely on things being idiot proof. The one bit of work I had to do was figure out how to keep using my AOL mail account (which AOL now provides free). I found instructions on Google and downloaded a Firefox program that let me add a link on my tool bar that gets me right to AOL mail.
stevesliva
QUOTE (Juramike @ May 18 2008, 08:29 AM) *
Normally, I always use Firefox, but for a few specific applications (our corporate ordering system is one example) I'm forced to use Internet Explorer. I really notice the difference.

I use the IE tab plugin for most annoying apps like that, but some truly require IE. Sigh.

The best feature I have configured in Firefox is the middle mouse button opens links in new tabs without changing the focus from the current tab... so I often find myself middle-clicking every image in a thread, and while allowing them to load in the background, finish reading the thread. Of course, I also middle-click every thread in the "view new posts" view here, so I end up with several rows of multicolored tabs that indicate how long they've sat unread, and whether they've been viewed at all. I've also got "Tiny Menu" so that I can cram everything into one row... you really need to see a screenshot to appreciate my tab customizations.

The key plugins are tab mix plus, tiny menu, aging tabs, ie tab, forecastfox... gotta love this browser.
Click to view attachment
stewjack
QUOTE (stevesliva @ May 18 2008, 12:14 PM) *
The key plugins are tab mix plus, tiny menu, aging tabs, ie tab, forecastfox... gotta love this browser.

I like your plugins (official name extensions) - but I would include Flashblock. It puts a "start button" over every stupid flash video. I have dial-up, and I don't know about you, but when I am downloading 5 web pages, in five tabs, and they all start to chatter - it drives me crazy!

After Stu gets used to Mozilla Firefox he may want to check out MozBackup
It's a stand alone free program not an extension, but it makes most mozilla backup tasks very easy. smile.gif

"MozBackup is a simple utility for creating backups of Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, Mozilla Sunbird, Flock, SeaMonkey, Mozilla Suite, Spicebird and Netscape profiles. It allows you to backup and restore bookmarks, passwords, mail, contacts, history, extensions, cache etc. It's an easy way to do Firefox backup, Thunderbird backup ..."

Jack
Greg Hullender
QUOTE (stevesliva @ May 18 2008, 08:14 AM) *
The best feature I have configured in Firefox is the middle mouse button opens links in new tabs without changing the focus from the current tab...

Of course, in IE you get the same effect just by holding the Ctrl key when clicking on links. No need for a three-button mouse.

--Greg
jaredGalen
Oh, that works for Firefox too wink.gif
stevesliva
Yeah, I prefer the one-handed version. It's actually the scroll wheel that's the third button on my mouse.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.