Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Memorable Phrases and Headlines
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
dmuller
What are your memorable UMSF phrases and headlines you remember that sent shivers down your spine? Here's my short-list:
Apologies if such a thread already exists and I missed it ...

"At this moment we should be on the ground ... stand-by" (Spirit landing)

"Go Phoenix" (final launch poll)

"We have picked-up the carrier signal from Huygens"

"Given the burn performance so far, we should have entered orbit around Saturn by now" and
"The Doppler has flattened out" (Cassini SOI)

and from manned spaceflight:
"bye bye" ... last comm of crew of Columbia STS-1 before reentry blackout on the maiden shuttle flight
"Challenger ... Houston ... ATO ATO" (abort-to-orbit as one Challenger main engine shuts down prematurely)
Paolo
On a funnier side, this is an air to ground exchange after Genesis... well... landing:
"Vertigo we have an impact 2 zero zero , 8 miles ."
"Copy that ....do you have an altitude ?"
"That's impact Sir , ground level. "
Stu
Or, from the "I really wish I hadn't said that.." file:

“Unlike (the NASA) robots, Beagle 2 won't be going sightseeing." - Colin Pillinger.

djellison
Mike Caplinger telling the MER guys that they had 2 minutes of UHF from the ground with Spirit. I knew that Spirit was safe, but the flight ops guys just didn't acknowledge it.

Doug
dvandorn
Well, my roommate cringes every time he hears a shuttle launch and they give the call "Go at throttle-up." For obvious reasons. Me, I had a bit of a shiver on this last shuttle launch, when that call became "Go at throttle-up, and we'll have words on your RCS messages... later."

-the other Doug
climber
Spirit :
Com Officer : There she is!
Others in the room : aaaaaaaaaaah, yhaaaaaaaaa,Wouahhhhhhh, Ahahahahahaha, ....

Oppy :
Rob Manning comment (approx.) : I was looking at the back of the screen (for carrier) no seeing the very strong signal at the top of the screen.

djellison
Ahh - Polly Estabrook going 'IT'S THERE, IT'S THERE ROB' - and Rob 'I don't see it' smile.gif That was brilliant smile.gif

Doug
Greg Hullender
I'm still partial to "Tranquility Base here: the Eagle has landed."

And, yeah, "Go at throttle up" still gives me the creeps.

--Greg
edstrick
My favorite quote: "MY GOD! THE BUILDING'S SHAKING! THE BUILDING'S SHAKING HERE!"

Walter Cronkite, 20 seconds after Saturn 501 lifted off on the first Saturn 5 flight.

Another is: "13 feet per second. ... TOUCHDOWN!"

Surveyor 1 mission commentary.
brianc
Apollo 17 Launch of the last moon rocket

'It's lighting up like daylight here at the Kennedy Space Centre as the Saturn V is moving off the pad'
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.