Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting Cassini Image Processing
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini general discussion and science results
Bjorn Jonsson
I came across a reference to this site earlier this week:

http://www.io.com/~iareth/spaceimages.html

There are some great images there. I'm surprised there haven't been any 'official' images like some of these images, e.g. the false color images of Saturn (in fact I'm surprised by the lack of color images).

Actually I've been messing a bit with the raw JPGs myself but have found it somewhat difficult to do something interesting without bringing out the JPG compression artifacts. The real fun starts once this gets released via the PDS.

BTW is it just me or has the automatic contrast stretch applied to the raw images been fixed ? There are some distant satellite images (OPNAVs) where only a small area near the limb is saturated, for example this one of Rhea:

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...eiImageID=27711
M_Welander
BTW is it just me or has the automatic contrast stretch applied to the raw images been fixed ?

I just thought the same thing, just a few days ago. Though I still think they could improve it, I do get the impression more satellite images are useful for our purposes in the later batches, compared to previously. It's hard to know which is which, though, because I assume some of the images are actually overexposed on purpose in the camera itself, while others are simply oversaturated when the preview images are quantized for the web.
mgrodzki
i found that site too… excellent site. i wonder if there are more sites like this around with rogue image processers working with cassini images?
dilo
Ciclops yesterday published this terminator view...
In order to better see 3D clouds structures also in the darker region, here I done a little processing:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.