Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Titan names
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Titan
volcanopele
The IAU's Working Group for Planetary System Nomenclature approved three more names for Titan: Kraken Mare, Ligeia Mare, and Mayda Insula. Kraken Mare is the name of the largest north polar sea and Mayda Insula is the name of the island at the northern end of Kraken Mare. Ligeia Mare is the large sea to the east of Kraken Mare.

http://astrogeology.usgs.gov/HotTopics/ind...sula-Names.html
nprev
Jason, any reason you know of why "mare" is placed at the end of a feature's proper name rather then at the beginning, as is the lunar convention?

I suspect this might be because of modern English colloquial usage vs. traditional Latin grammatical structure (we say "Pacific Ocean", not "Oceanus Pacificam"), plus the fact that the lunar 'seas' were misidentified, but it just seems odd that the terms are transposed on the only two non-terrestrial bodies in the Solar System with mares (definition notwithstanding).
stevesliva
Ack, I think what I initially posted here was logically inconsistent. But I was speculating that just like in English... "Sea of Japan" versus "Japanese Sea." You could have the same in Latin, where both forms are used.
David
QUOTE (nprev @ Apr 11 2008, 05:23 PM) *
Jason, any reason you know of why "mare" is placed at the end of a feature's proper name rather then at the beginning, as is the lunar convention?

I suspect this might be because of modern English colloquial usage vs. traditional Latin grammatical structure (we say "Pacific Ocean", not "Oceanus Pacificam"), plus the fact that the lunar 'seas' were misidentified, but it just seems odd that the terms are transposed on the only two non-terrestrial bodies in the Solar System with mares (definition notwithstanding).

That would be "Oceanus Pacificus" -- though my antique wall-map, lettered in both Latin and a Dutchman's interpretation of Spaniportitalian, actually has "Mare Pacificum", and that referring only to a small part of what it calls the "Mar del Zur".

Selenographic convention is "Mare X" (where X is usually a genitive -- the main exceptions are Mare Australe, Mare Orientale, and Mare Moscoviense), but in the traditional Martian nomenclature, both orders were used: in my small collection of areographic maps I find both "Mare Erythraeum" (1896) and "Erythraeum Mare" (1930), "Acidalium Mare" (1886) and "Mare Acidalium" (1896). The order is grammatically insignificant.
Decepticon

Are there any More Sar passes missing form this Map?

Not including any future passes.
rlorenz
QUOTE (Decepticon @ Apr 12 2008, 01:17 PM) *
Are there any More Sar passes missing form this Map?

Not including any future passes.

They're all here. Even the HiSAR and the SAR half of T30

elakdawalla
OK, you Titan mappers, where's the newly named crater Afekan?

--Emily
Stu
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 5 2008, 07:04 PM) *
OK, you Titan mappers, where's the newly named crater Afekan?

Must... resist... temptation... to... make... Father Ted... joke... laugh.gif
volcanopele
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA10655

It is near that so-called "Spaghetti Monster"
Juramike
It is located north of Selk, which is the crater named back in February that is in NW Shangri-La.

Selk = Egyptian goddess of knowledge, writing, education, and reptiles.
(...and reptiles, how the heck did that job function get thrown in there?)
nprev
QUOTE (Juramike @ Aug 5 2008, 05:38 PM) *
Selk = Egyptian goddess of knowledge, writing, education, and reptiles.
(...and reptiles, how the heck did that job function get thrown in there?)

Obviously, she was Civil Service... rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.