Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Visual graph of active interplanetary probes over 50 years
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future
Mark6
Active Interplanetary Probes At Any Given Time.

This is a timeline of every space probe that ever made it out of Earth orbit and to another celestial body. Its purpose is to visualize, as you scroll up and down the page, how the flotilla of Earth's emissaries throughout the solar system has grown and shrunk with time - but mostly grown.
elakdawalla
Mark6, this is an extremely simple and elegant way of plotting out the history of interplanetary space exploration -- I have been wanting to come up with something like this for a long time, but always wound up with too complicated a structure and never came up with anything successful. Very strong work!

Two things that this doesn't capture (and, not coincidentally, two reasons I have never come up with a visualization that worked) are lunar exploration and the difference between spacecraft that are cruising or en route and spacecraft that are at their destinations actively doing science. The rules are different for lunar exploration because cruises are so short and because there were so many missions early on. It would be easier if there were a straightforward boundary between missions that were mostly pre-Apollo engineering tests (and could therefore be ignored) and missions that really returned science. Perhaps there is; I am too ignorant about early lunar exploration to draw that boundary.

--Emily
stevesliva
Lunar orbits require a lot of fuel to remain in orbit, as well, so I'd guess they'd all look very brief.

It's amazing (and sad) that Cassini is moving into the #3 spot as 3rd oldest operational spacecraft not orbiting earth! Points to a lack of RTG powered missions, I suppose. But Stardust is long in the tooth as well... I feel old.

I also notice you have a number of failed-after-cruise missions, but not the also disappointing failed-at-launch or soon afters like CONTOUR or Mars 96. They weren't active, but they tried!

Genesis is missing.
elakdawalla
Well, Cassini's old because it takes a long time to explore the outer solar system. That's one reason I always wanted to try to differentiate spacecraft that were cruising from spacecraft doing science -- not many of the quarters from 1997 to 2004 should really "count" for Cassini.

A slightly different way of organizing the same chart might be to sort the positions left to right by destination (using the same destination groupings as you already developed), in order of decreasing cruise time. That would keep all those long-lived outer-planets missions constantly to the left, from their inception, and shift the briefer Mars and Venus stuff to the right; it might help visualize the boom-and-bust style of Mars and Venus exploration.

--Emily
Mark6
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Apr 1 2008, 03:31 AM) *
Mark6, this is an extremely simple and elegant way of plotting out the history of interplanetary space exploration -- I have been wanting to come up with something like this for a long time, but always wound up with too complicated a structure and never came up with anything successful. Very strong work!

Thank you!! Coming from you, this is more praise than I dared to hope for. biggrin.gif
Two things that this doesn't capture (and, not coincidentally, two reasons I have never come up with a visualization that worked) are lunar exploration and the difference between spacecraft that are cruising or en route and spacecraft that are at their destinations actively doing science. The rules are different for lunar exploration because cruises are so short and because there were so many missions early on. It would be easier if there were a straightforward boundary between missions that were mostly pre-Apollo engineering tests (and could therefore be ignored) and missions that really returned science. Perhaps there is; I am too ignorant about early lunar exploration to draw that boundary.

I think Moon missions are not well suited for this kind of graph because almost all of them were short. I decided to make the website when I visualized a gradual build up of the "flotilla", with newer spacecraft coming on line as older ones drop out over the years. With Moon you have a flurry of activity in 1960's and early 70's, almost every one of them fits in a single quarter, then nothing for 18 years, then a few longer missions but still with no overlap at all. It is just not as visually appealing.

The difference between spacecraft that are cruising or en route and spacecraft that are at their destinations actively doing science is a bit tricky because something like Deep Impact or Voyagers are at their "destinations" only for a few days out of years, yet they are actively doing science. I suppose since every row takes up a quarter of the year, it is legitimate to highlight the quarters during which encounters occured.
Mark6
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Apr 1 2008, 05:42 AM) *
A slightly different way of organizing the same chart might be to sort the positions left to right by destination (using the same destination groupings as you already developed), in order of decreasing cruise time. That would keep all those long-lived outer-planets missions constantly to the left, from their inception, and shift the briefer Mars and Venus stuff to the right; it might help visualize the boom-and-bust style of Mars and Venus exploration.

I can try. This was done with a PHP program; I will have to think how to modify it to do the grouping. Now that I think of it, multiple periods of activity, like Voyager 2 at each planet, will be more difficult to code; I might make just two portions (cruise/active), at least at first.

I did not include Genesis, Helios, or SoHo because they are all solar probes. Actually, no real reason why I should not -- and that will be quite easy.
Tom Tamlyn
Thanks for your very illuminating chart.

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Mar 31 2008, 10:31 PM) *
Two things that this doesn't capture (and, not coincidentally, two reasons I have never come up with a visualization that worked) are lunar exploration and the difference between spacecraft that are cruising or en route and spacecraft that are at their destinations actively doing science. T

Perhaps you could use cross-hatching to indicate active science operations, although you'll have to decide whether operation of particles and fields instruments during interplanetary flight qualifies.

TTT
tedstryk
This is really cool. wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

I hate to be picky, but Mariner 5, Mariners 6 and 7, and Mariner 4's 1967 operations are missing.
Mark6
QUOTE (tedstryk @ Apr 2 2008, 02:50 AM) *
This is really cool. wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

I hate to be picky, but Mariner 5, Mariners 6 and 7, and Mariner 4's 1967 operations are missing.

Fixed. That was easy; sorting columns will have to wait a few days.

Don't feel bad about being picky -- I do not want to have errors in the page!
NGC3314
QUOTE (Tom Tamlyn @ Apr 1 2008, 12:45 PM) *
Thanks for your very illuminating chart.

Perhaps you could use cross-hatching to indicate active science operations, although you'll have to decide whether operation of particles and fields instruments during interplanetary flight qualifies.

TTT

As a deep-sky astronomer, sometimes I think planetary-science types are a different species. Why wouldn't particles and fields, heliospheric studies via Lyman alpha, or UV astronomy qualify as science operations? (I was struck to find, only recently, that the Lyman-alpha measurements during interplanetary cruise go back at least to Venera 4).
Greg Hullender
Ideally, I think you'd want the width of each column to correspond to the quantity of data being returned. Something like New Horizons, which spends most of cruise in hibernation, really isn't doing much science right now, but other probes might well be.

Of course that won't be a simple table.

--Greg
elakdawalla
Greg, those kinds of great ideas are a perfect example of why I was never able to complete a chart like this. rolleyes.gif Sometimes, in order to get a project done, you need to throw out most of your great ideas and just keep it simple!

This chart evokes one of the greatest posters I have ever purchased, the Rand McNally Histomap of World History, which plots the rise and fall of civilizations as expanding and contracting shapes on a vertical chart with time:
http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000453.php
Click to view attachment

--Emily
ustrax
Emily...that is really an impressive chart! blink.gif
Truly my kind of stuff...
Is Portugal included? If not I won't buy it... rolleyes.gif

Mark6...your work is just superb, clearly shows how evolution is taking place in the space exploration field... smile.gif
brellis
Regarding Emily's comment about the long cruise phase for outer planet missions - and Mercury MESSENGER, for that matter:

I recall with great fondness checking the Cassini Status Reports during the cruise phase. One of their standard statements was very soothing to see - "the spacecraft is in excellent health, and all monitored systems are functioning normally" - something like that.

Maybe the type face could be bold when it reaches its destination. That would be another way to illuminate the status of the flotilla. For that matter, spacecraft that are floating around at the end of their successful missions might be another one to put in - have them reduced to mini/micro size, perhaps.
Greg Hullender
Emily: Yeah, the best is the enemy of the good. However, that chart you linked us to is more or less what I had in mind, except rather than being fixed width, I was thinking of letting it gradually get wider to reflect the total amount of data sent by all probes combined (probably use log scaling).

--Greg
Mark6
QUOTE (stevesliva @ Apr 1 2008, 06:18 AM) *
It's amazing (and sad) that Cassini is moving into the #3 spot as 3rd oldest operational spacecraft not orbiting earth! Points to a lack of RTG powered missions, I suppose. But Stardust is long in the tooth as well... I feel old.

Well, reports of death of Ulysses appear to be premature:

Ulysses is currently funded through March 2009 in a mission extension approved in November by the committee governing ESA's science program.

Ulysses operations cost ESA about $4 million each per year. NASA and ESA share operations from a control center at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. ESA is responsible for the spacecraft and NASA provides the ground segment, according to a NASA spokesperson.

I restored Ulysses' current status in the web page. Still had not gotten around to adding solar probes!
dmuller
It will get tricky once you get into the Solar probes. Some of the really old ones are still alive but not actively used, like Pioneer 6, which launched in 1965 and radio contact was last established in 2000, and could be established again if the will, money and DSN availability was there. I think the term is "extant" for such probes. Those old probes were spin-axis stabilized, which turned out to be really stable, and dont rely on (much) attitude control maneuvers.

Does anybody know which other crafts are "extant". Quite a few missions were "switched off" rather than "lost", and those could theoretically be reactivated (Giotto comes to mind).

Then there is also the Deep Impact flyby craft (or was it Stardust?), which I heard is being sent to a new target.

QUOTE (Mark6 @ Apr 2 2008, 01:43 AM) *
I can try. This was done with a PHP program; I will have to think how to modify it to do the grouping.

Mark, as for plotting your graph, I definitely think that the journey to the target is part of the mission. Regarding re-arranging the columns, you could do the whole thing in Excel (if you copy it from IE then you wont even loose the urls) and drag and drop cells as you please. When done save as a html file, or create an html generating formula (e.g. ="<tr><td>"&A1&"</td><td> ...."; might get tricky with links though). A possible way that you can arrange them is to place the same mission into
the same column so it's easy to see the date range of a mission being active, downside is that you'll have gaps and can't see which crafts are the oldest.

On that note, can I link to your site from my interplanetary spaceflight website?

Phoenix is now 34 days 19 hours from Mars, still has 66 million km to fly. Current altitude above Mars 8 million km.
Mark6
QUOTE (dmuller @ Apr 21 2008, 04:46 AM) *
It will get tricky once you get into the Solar probes. Some of the really old ones are still alive but not actively used, like Pioneer 6, which launched in 1965 and radio contact was last established in 2000, and could be established again if the will, money and DSN availability was there. I think the term is "extant" for such probes. Those old probes were spin-axis stabilized, which turned out to be really stable, and dont rely on (much) attitude control maneuvers.

Which is part of the reason why I did not include solar probes to begin with. It gets rather subjective.
Then there is also the Deep Impact flyby craft (or was it Stardust?), which I heard is being sent to a new target.

Both -- and both are in my graph.
On that note, can I link to your site from my interplanetary spaceflight website?

Certainly!
Greg Hullender
This speaks to why you want to include some measure of the amount of data returned -- even if only symbolically. That is, rather than actually reporting bytes-per-month, you might just have widths for cruise, main mission, extended mission (if that implied reduced data), standby (implying at least SOME contact). But those widths should (in my opinion) be related to how much data the probe sent down.

--Greg
Mark6
QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Apr 21 2008, 04:51 PM) *
This speaks to why you want to include some measure of the amount of data returned -- even if only symbolically. That is, rather than actually reporting bytes-per-month, you might just have widths for cruise, main mission, extended mission (if that implied reduced data), standby (implying at least SOME contact). But those widths should (in my opinion) be related to how much data the probe sent down.

--Greg

Where would I find this information?
Greg Hullender
Well, one approach is to take a wild guess and then see who corrects you. :-)

Seriously, it's probably good enough to just make a really thin column for cruise, something 4x as thick for the main mission, half that for the extended mission, and then just a line (no thickness) for "it's there but doesn't talk much".

--Greg
dmuller
Mark, you could also use formatting (e.g. bold: prime operations (flyby, science orbit) :: (normal): cruise, occasional observations :: italics: standby, hibernation) whilst you collect data stream records. Probably easier to script in php than fiddling with column widths, at least for the time being
Mark6
QUOTE (dmuller @ Apr 22 2008, 03:13 AM) *
Mark, you could also use formatting (e.g. bold: prime operations (flyby, science orbit) :: (normal): cruise, occasional observations :: italics: standby, hibernation) whilst you collect data stream records. Probably easier to script in php than fiddling with column widths, at least for the time being

OK, I highlighted prime operations and corrected some errors (on several Venera probes). Again, definition of "prime operations" is a bit subjective -- does Earth flyby qualify? I decided the answer is yes. Also, I found it a bit difficult to find complete time periods of science operations during some major flybys -- for example, most giant planet flybys by Pioneers and Voyagers occupy only one quarter on my chart -- but is it really true? I found that science ops of Voyager 1's Jupiter flyby lasted from January to April 1979; likely others were equally long. I expect to find it all eventually, but it will take time.

Likewise, hibernation times are not yet included because that information is just not readily available. So far I found hibernation dates only for a handful of probes.

Finally, solar probes... I guess I will have to include them -- which will make the table wider, but will get rid of inconsistencies smile.gif
tedstryk
You are thinking of Deep Impact AND Stardust. Deep Impact is headed to Comet Hartley 2. It will arrive in October, 2010. It is currently carrying out a mission called "EPOXI." Stardust is headed to Comet Temple I (Deep Impact's first target), and will arrive on February 14, 2011. Here is a flyby animation.
elakdawalla
I like the bolding, I think it helps, without needlessly complicating the design.

Here's the info for the Voyagers:
Voyager 1:
Jupiter Encounter: January 4 to April 13, 1979
Saturn Encounter: August 23 to December 15, 1980

Voyager 2:
Jupiter Encounter: April 25 to August 5, 1979
Saturn Encounter: June 5 to September 5, 1981
Uranus Encounter: November 4, 1985 to February 25, 1986
Neptune Encounter: June 5 through October 2, 1989

One comment: have you considered using CSS styles to do the formatting? It would make the page code considerably simpler. You'd just have a "td" style defined for each mission type, and one for cruise and one for science (or you could just use <em> for science ops and define it however you want), and then there wouldn't be all those font and color tags mucking up the code.

--Emily
Mark6
QUOTE (tedstryk @ Apr 24 2008, 07:34 PM) *
You are thinking of Deep Impact AND Stardust. Deep Impact is headed to Comet Hartley 2. It will arrive in October, 2010. It is currently carrying out a mission called "EPOXI." Stardust is headed to Comet Temple I (Deep Impact's first target), and will arrive on February 14, 2011. Here is a flyby animation.

I do not understand your point. "EPOXI" is the reason why I have Deep Impact highlighted as currently "active". As far as I know, Stardust has been in hibernation since early 2006 -- one of few probes I happen to know that.
Mark6
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Apr 24 2008, 08:30 PM) *
I like the bolding, I think it helps, without needlessly complicating the design.

Here's the info for the Voyagers:
Voyager 1:
Jupiter Encounter: January 4 to April 13, 1979
Saturn Encounter: August 23 to December 15, 1980

Voyager 2:
Jupiter Encounter: April 25 to August 5, 1979
Saturn Encounter: June 5 to September 5, 1981
Uranus Encounter: November 4, 1985 to February 25, 1986
Neptune Encounter: June 5 through October 2, 1989

Thanks! Do you have similar information for Cassini, Ulysses and New Horizons Jupiter encounters?
One comment: have you considered using CSS styles to do the formatting? It would make the page code considerably simpler. You'd just have a "td" style defined for each mission type, and one for cruise and one for science (or you could just use <em> for science ops and define it however you want), and then there wouldn't be all those font and color tags mucking up the code.

I did think of that, but I am not used to CSS. I should find "CSS for dummies" or something like that wink.gif
Mark6
Code added for "hibernation" status - but so far I included this info only for Pioneers 10-11, and for Stardust.
elakdawalla
I really recommend learning CSS -- it saves a TON of work. Like HTML, all you need is a super-basic introduction -- then you can start plagiarizing styles from sites you like. smile.gif Here's a site that I found useful when I was figuring out CSS. http://www.w3schools.com/css/

By the way, those dates I gave you for the Voyagers are, if I remember correctly, just the first and last dates that images were taken; they may or may not precisely match what the mission regards as the "encounter period."

For Cassini, images are labeled with a "MISSION_PHASE_NAME" of "JUPITER_ENCOUNTER" from January 14, 2001 to March 12, 2001.

For New Horizons, the LORRI image database for the Jupiter encounter starts with images taken on January 8, 2007 and ends with images taken on June 11, 2007; but the last Jupiter system target was imaged on March 27 (the remaining images were targeted at Earth). However, I'm pretty sure they were taking magnetic field data for longer, as they were riding down the magnetotail. Science Magazine articles describe observations of the magnetotail out to past 2500 Rj, which they crossed on DOY 172 (whatever that is; it must be close to June 11 though, being a little less than halfway through the year). I don't know if they ended there, though.

I don't have such info for Ulysses, as it didn't have a camera, and cameraless spacecraft just aren't on my radar screen.

--Emily
tedstryk
QUOTE (Mark6 @ Apr 24 2008, 09:33 PM) *
I do not understand your point. "EPOXI" is the reason why I have Deep Impact highlighted as currently "active". As far as I know, Stardust has been in hibernation since early 2006 -- one of few probes I happen to know that.

It was in reference to dmuller's comment. I figured I would flesh out what those two missions were up to.
Mark6
Solar probes added.

BTW, while including CSS style sheets would make HTML file significantly smaller, it will have practically no effect on the complexity of the PHP source file.
Mark6
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Apr 24 2008, 11:03 PM) *
I don't have such info for Ulysses, as it didn't have a camera, and cameraless spacecraft just aren't on my radar screen.

--Emily

Well, I found it. Ulysses' effective time at Jupiter was less than a month.
tedstryk
Ulysses was inside the magnetosphere from February 2 to 14, 1992, and the official encounter dates were 1992-01-25
to 1992-02-17. Still, Ulysses studied things such as dust emissions from Io, extreme ultraviolet emissions from Jupiter and Io torus, and radio bursts for a long time before and after that. Formally speaking, the Jupiter Distant Encounter lasted from November 19, 2003 to April 1, 2004. The reason for the longer official period is that given the declining power supply, in order to collect data similar to the distant data collected before the 1992 encounter using all instruments, they had to shut off the tape recorder. This meant the need for 24/7 DSN coverage during the encounter period.

Here is an extreme ultraviolet map I reprocessed from data for January 11, 1992 showing Jupiter as well as the Milky Way and interstellar hydrogen on the "windward" side of the solar system (same side the Voyagers and Pioneer 11 are heading out). Note that the Jovian hydrogen cloud is larger than the actual disk of Jupiter. Ulysses produced many such maps, but the datasets from this date are some of the best and most complete.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PhilCo126
Solar probes added: is STEREO included ?
STEREO = Solar TErrestrial RElations Observatory ( launched in 2006 )
Mark6
QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Apr 26 2008, 06:05 PM) *
Solar probes added: is STEREO included ?
STEREO = Solar TErrestrial RElations Observatory ( launched in 2006 )

Not yet -- and thank you. I welcome all corrections.
paxdan
How about something like this but with height representing data?
djellison
Unfortunately the graph would have to be an usual scale - MRO essentially dominating over everything else.

Doug
jamescanvin
I would think that a logarithmic scale would work though.

That's a nice graphic paxdan, thanks for pointing it out.
Mark6
QUOTE (paxdan @ Apr 27 2008, 10:35 AM) *
How about something like this but with height representing data?

First, yes, the graph would have to be logarithmic scale. Second, data volume is not what I was after -- the numeric volume of "flotilla" is.

STEREO added.
Mongo
I had posted this on another thread, but it should also be of interest here:

Deep Space Chronology

A good summary of every deep space probe from 1958 to 1999. Here is are some typical entries:

39) Kosmos 21 / [Zond]

Nation: USSR (23)

Objective(s): lunar flyby

Spacecraft: 3MV-1A (no. 1)

Spacecraft Mass: c. 800 kg

Mission Design and Management: OKB-1

Launch Vehicle: 8K78 (no. G103-18)

Launch Date and Time: 11 November 1963 / 06:23:35 UT

Launch Site: NIIP-5 / launch site 1

Scientific Instruments:
1) radiation detector
2) charged-particle detector
3) magnetometer
4) piezoelectric detector
5) atomic hydrogen detector
6) radio telescope
7) ultraviolet and Roentgen solar radiation experiment
8) technology experiment
9) plasma engines

Results: This was the first of the Soviet Union’s “third-generation” deep space planetary probes of the 3MV series. Like the second generation, Soviet engineers projected four types of the 3MV: the 3MV-1 (for Venus impact), 3MV-2 (for Venus flyby), 3MV-3 (for Mars impact), and 3MV-4 (for Mars flyby). The primary difference over the second generation was vastly improved (and in many cases doubled) orientation system elements. While these four versions were meant to study Mars and Venus, the Soviets conceived of two additional variants of the series, similar but not identical to the 3MV-1 and 3MV-4 versions. These “test variants” were designed to verify key technological systems during simpler missions on flyby missions to the Moon and the near planets. On this particular launch, the first to fly a “test variant,” the third and fourth stages separated abnormally; after the craft reached Earth orbit, ground control lost telemetry from the Blok L upper stage designed to send the vehicle past the Moon. The stage’s main engine turbopump probably exploded upon ignition, destroying the payload. With this mission, the Soviets began the practice of giving Kosmos designations to lunar and planetary probes that remained stranded in Earth orbit.

153) Helios 2

Nation: Federal Republic of Germany and U.S. (2)

Objective(s): solar orbit

Spacecraft: Helios-B

Spacecraft Mass: 370 kg

Mission Design and Management: DFVLR and NASA GSFC

Launch Vehicle: Titan IIIE-Centaur (TC-5 / Titan no. E-5 / Centaur D-1T)

Launch Date and Time: 15 January 1976 / 05:34:00 UT

Launch Site: ETR / launch complex 41

Scientific Instruments:
1) plasma detector
2) two flux gate magnetometers
3) search-coil magnetometer
4) plasma and radio wave experiment
5) cosmic-ray detectors
6) electron detectors
7) zodiacal light photometer
8) micrometeoroid analyzer
9) celestial mechanics experiment
10) Faraday rotation experiment
11) occultation experiment

Results: Helios 2 was the second spacecraft launched to investigate solar processes as part of a cooperative project between the Federal Republic of Germany and the United States in which the former provided the spacecraft and the latter the launch vehicle. Like its twin, the spacecraft was put into heliocentric orbit. In contrast to Helios 1, however, Helios 2 flew three million kilometers closer to the Sun, achieving perihelion on 17 April 1976 at a distance of 0.29 AU (or 43.432 million kilometers). As a result, the spacecraft was exposed to 10 percent more heat than was its predecessor. The spacecraft provided important information on solar plasma, the solar wind, cosmic rays, and cosmic dust, and also performed magnetic field and electrical field experiments.

166) Vega 1

Nation: USSR (102)

Objective(s): Venus atmospheric entry and landing, Halley’s Comet flyby

Spacecraft: 5VK (no. 901)

Spacecraft Mass: c. 4,920 kg

Mission Design and Management: NPO Lavochkin

Launch Vehicle: 8K82K + Blok DM (Proton-K no. 329-01 / Blok DM no. 11L)

Launch Date and Time: 15 December 1984 / 09:16:24 UT

Launch Site: NIIP-5 / launch site 200L

Scientific Instruments:
Lander:
1) Malakhit mass spectrometer
2) Sigma-3 gas chromatograph
3) VM-4 hygrometer
4) GS-15-SCV gamma-ray spectrometer
5) UV spectrometer
6) BDRP-AM25 x-ray fluorescence spectrometer and drill
7) ISAV nephelometer/scatterometer
8) temperature and pressure sensors
9) IFP aerosol analyzer
Balloon:
1) temperature and pressure sensors
2) vertical wind anemometer
3) nephelometer
4) light level/lighting detector
Bus:
1) imaging system
2) infrared spectrometer
3) ultraviolet, visible, infrared imaging spectrometer
4) shield penetration detector
5) dust detectors
6) dust mass spectrometer
7) neutral gas mass spectrometer
8) APV-V plasma energy analyzer
9) energetic-particle analyzer
10) magnetometer
11) wave and plasma analyzers

Results: The twin-spacecraft Vega project was perhaps the most ambitious deep space Soviet mission to date. The mission had three major goals: to place advanced lander modules on the surface of Venus, to deploy balloons (two each) in the Venusian atmosphere, and, by using Venusian gravity, to fly the remaining buses past the Comet Halley. The entire mission was a cooperative effort among the Soviet Union (who provided the spacecraft and launch vehicle) and Austria, Bulgaria, Hungary, the German Democratic Republic (East Germany), Poland, Czechoslovakia, France, and the Federal Republic of Germany (West Germany). Although the landers were similar to ones used before for exploring Venus, the balloon gondolas were completely new French-made vehicles that carried American-French nephelometers to measure aerosol distribution in the atmosphere. The cometary flyby probes, which contained a 120-kilogram scientific package for investigations, were protected against high-velocity impacts from dust particles. After a successful flight to Venus, Vega 1 released its 1,500-kilogram descent module on 9 June 1985, two days before atmospheric entry. At 61 kilometers altitude, as the lander descended, it released the first helium-inflated plastic balloon with a hanging gondola underneath it. Mass was around 20.8 kilograms. As the balloon drifted through the Venusian atmosphere (controlled partly by ballast), it transmitted important data on the atmosphere back to a network of tracking antennas on Earth. Balloon 1 survived for 46.5 hours, eventually terminating operations because of battery failure. The lander set down safely on the ground at 03:02:54 UT on 11 June 1985 at 7.2° north latitude and 177.8° longitude, on the night side of Venus in the Mermaid Plain north of Aphrodite, and transmitted from the surface for 56 minutes. Having deployed before it reached the surface, the soil sample drill failed to complete its soil analysis, but the mass spectrometer returned important data.

The Vega 1 bus flew by Venus at a range of 39,000 kilometers and then headed for its encounter with Halley. After a course correction on 10 February 1986, the spacecraft began its formal studies of the comet on 4 March, when it was 14 million kilometers from its target. During the 3-hour encounter on 6 March 1986, the spacecraft approached to within 8,889 kilometers (at 07:20:06 UT) of Halley. Vega 1 took more than 500 pictures via different filters as it flew through the gas cloud around the coma. Although the spacecraft was battered by dust, none of the instruments were disabled during the encounter. Vega 1 collected a wealth of information on Halley, including data on its nucleus, its dust production rate, its chemical composition, and its rotational rate. After subsequent imaging sessions on 7 and 8 March 1986, Vega 1 headed out to deep space.
paxdan
Popular Mechanics SPACE: THE FIRST 50 YEARS Interactive timeline.
djellison
Sputnik at 100,000 distance?

Hmm.
Mark6
I never got around to adding style sheets, but I continue updating that web page when need arises. And now ICE got de-iced!

I noticed someone already updated ICE wikipedia page.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.