Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gallery
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Image Processing Techniques
Pages: 1, 2
Stu
There have been so many times that I've finished colourising or messing about with an image, only to wonder just where I should post it, that I thought I'd start a new topic here, kind of a "Vision On" gallery (that'll mean nothing to non-UK members, sorry!) where people can just post "general" images they've been working on, for everyone to see. I hope that's okay, Mods? If not, feel free to slap my wrist and move/change it.

Anyway, to kick things off...

Click to view attachment

( Crop from PSP_002722_1665 )
dvandorn
"Vision On"? Would that be anything like "Carry On, Visioning"?

rolleyes.gif

-the other Doug
Stu
Sadly not, but that's a movie that should have been made! laugh.gif

No, "Vision On" was a kids programme in the 70s and early 80s, featuring a popular but rather pompous artist called Tony Hart, who was big on making pictures out of bits of twig, sweet wrappers, whatever. Every week they had a "Gallery" with pictures sent in by viewers, which were shown accompanied by a very cheesy musical track familiar to all the Brit forum members who were young at that time...

Altogether now... "Doo dee doo dee doo dee doooooo...." smile.gif

There'll be a clip on YouTube somewhere I'm sure.
SkyeLab
Hi Stu,

Surely for a proper "Vision On Gallery" entry it should be accompanied with your full name and age.

"By Stuart Atkinson aged 9 and a half" or whatever.......... wink.gif

Brian ( aged 40 and a bit)
Stu
Ah, a fellow 70s kids teatime tv addict eh Bri..? laugh.gif

Another offering... interesting colourised crop from PSP_003986_2195...

Click to view attachment

Kind of weird looking... triple impact maybe?
ugordan
Stu, that one looks like Mars caught a disease of some kind. biggrin.gif

I thought I'd chime in with a random composite of mine. This one's not of Mars, but was taken from Mars... A processing of the HiRISE Jupiter system shot using "red" and "blue/green" filters to approximate natural color (click for the complete, wide swath):

A keen eye can easily figure out the color was derived from just two filters. Magnified 2x from original pixel scale.
Stu
Love that Jupiter shot... I imagine that's how it looks through a huuuuuge telescope!

Couple of new offerings...

Click to view attachment

Stu
... and a crop from PSP_006667_2150...

Click to view attachment
nprev
QUOTE (Stu @ Feb 10 2008, 01:44 AM) *
Another offering... interesting colourised crop from PSP_003986_2195...

Kind of weird looking... triple impact maybe?

That's really a stunner, Stu! blink.gif They actually don't look like impact features to me, unless they're heavily (and quite selectively with respect to the surrounding terrain) eroded. Also, what's that dark spot in the middle/bottom "crater"? This place is worth a few more looks, for sure.
ustrax
QUOTE (nprev @ Feb 14 2008, 03:23 PM) *
They actually don't look like impact features to me, unless they're heavily (and quite selectively with respect to the surrounding terrain) eroded.

Come on Nicholas...Everyone knows Mars had only three continents...Acidalia Planitia '22...those were games to remember... rolleyes.gif
nprev
Heh, heh...I gotcha! tongue.gif Only two more splats needed to complete the logo, though I suspect that they might need to come from below rather than above...

Yeah, those '22 games were memorable, all right. Never would have suspected that anyone could complete a marathon in 30 minutes wearing a spacesuit.... rolleyes.gif
mps
QUOTE (Stu @ Feb 14 2008, 08:31 AM) *
Couple of new offerings...

Anyone else seeing a Face on this image - but this time in profile?
Stu
I am fascinated by this crop from PSP_003241_1080...

Click to view attachment

Look at those fissures, channels and dark "flow".... thingies.... blink.gif

I'd love someone who has a proper PC and can access the full resolution HiRISE images to show us (okay, me!) this area in real , sharp detail... wink.gif
Stu
... and nearby is this Field of Weird...

Click to view attachment
ngunn
Those last two are amazing, Stu. Looks like some thermal positive feedback going on there. Is this Mars or Iapetus? wink.gif
n1ckdrake
Defrosting of Richardson Dunes (PSP_003241_1080)

Click to view attachment

n1ckdrake
Defrosting of Richardson Dunes (PSP_003241_1080)

Click to view attachment
Stu
Wow... thanks for cropping and posting those... "bizarre" doesn't begin to cover it...
Stu
Colourised crop from PSP_006754_1790...

Best I can come up with to describe this layering on the left is "weird"!!!

Click to view attachment
nprev
Have to go with "aeolian" myself, but I think that "weird" should be added as an official Martian geological term, Stu... blink.gif

That's really amazing & beautiful terrain.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Stu @ Feb 24 2008, 08:02 AM) *
Colourised crop from PSP_006754_1790...

My first thought is how amazing that all must look like at the ground level. Hiking, climbing and photography there must rival anywhere else in the solar system.

Imagine the area known as Vasquez Rocks State Park, North of Los Angeles x 1000. (location of the battle between Captain Kirk and the Gorn commander in the original Star Trek.)

Stu
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Feb 25 2008, 02:09 AM) *
Imagine the area known as Vasquez Rocks State Park, North of Los Angeles x 1000. (location of the battle between Captain Kirk and the Gorn commander in the original Star Trek.)

(eyebrow rises up in Vulcan style) Fascinating. smile.gif

Thanks for pointing out the terrestrial analogy. Given me a great idea for a blog article.

On the subject of "weird areas", I found this intriguing landscape on an old MGS pic of another area of the same crater, Schiaparelli... interesting how the dunes and ridges form concentric circles...

Click to view attachment

AndyG
QUOTE (Stu @ Feb 26 2008, 01:05 AM) *
On the subject of "weird areas", I found this intriguing landscape on an old MGS pic of another area of the same crater

Looks like the sandworm cunningly dived just before the image was taken.

Andy
Stu
Going back to the Schiaparelli "weird" blade-terrain, n1ckdrake was kind enough to send me a zoom-in of a small area of it (thanks again Nick!) from which I was able to make this... as usual, not saying it's scientifically accurate, but wow, what a place...

Click to view attachment

Written a piece about it on my blog here, if anyone's interested...

Today's candidate for the Wall of Weird... colourised crop from PSP_003115_1810...

Click to view attachment

Ugh... looks like part of a diseased lung or brain or something... ohmy.gif

(Feeling a bit lonely here... no-one else got any images to share..?)
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Stu @ Feb 27 2008, 11:16 AM) *
(Feeling a bit lonely here... no-one else got any images to share..?)

Unlimited broadband in my new flat: ETA 1 week.

Hopefully I'll have a bit more spare time by then and can start going over some of the great data out there again. smile.gif

Great finds Stu.
Stu
Today's offering...

Click to view attachment
Stu
From PSP_002457_2195...

Click to view attachment

Dome? Mound? Crater? Bit of each..? blink.gif

nprev
Huh. That's a weird one, Stu.

Looks like a crater that got filled in by something (maybe a geothermal event like what happened at Home Plate?) (and, no, I ain't gonna call it "areothermal'... tongue.gif ), got buried in dust, and is now being slowly exhumed. Odd-looking thing, to be sure.
n1ckdrake
Circular Feature Which Looks Like Subsidence and Collapse (PSP_003728_0930)

Click to view attachment
n1ckdrake
Unknown Crater Seen in MOC Image R15-02146 (PSP_002230_1850)

Click to view attachment
Stu
Nice finds Nick! smile.gif I found this beauty whilst browsing (again!!! Curse you Emily!! laugh.gif ) the MRO pics via the ASU Mars Global Data site...

From PSP_006841_1935...

Click to view attachment
nprev
QUOTE (n1ckdrake @ Feb 28 2008, 11:11 PM) *
Circular Feature Which Looks Like Subsidence and Collapse (PSP_003728_0930)

I sure hate to over-use the word "weird"...but some of this polar terrain really, truly is nothing but. Parts of this image almost look like microscopic images of bacteria; it's the damndest looking place from aloft, can only wonder what it looks like at ground level.
ustrax
QUOTE (nprev @ Mar 1 2008, 03:35 PM) *
Parts of this image almost look like microscopic images of bacteria...

Nick...you just took the words out of my mouth... smile.gif
What does this idea makes of us under a B-I-G microscope?...Hadrons?... tongue.gif
nprev
I've been losing weight...shooting for lepton, here! tongue.gif (But if that means that I'll have to run at the speed of light for the rest of my life to exist, then to hell with that...)
ustrax
QUOTE (nprev @ Mar 1 2008, 05:56 PM) *
I've been losing weight...shooting for lepton, here! tongue.gif (But if that means that I'll have to run at the speed of light for the rest of my life to exist, then to hell with that...)

Did you already bought you NGM this month?... wink.gif
Stu
More weirdness from the "defrosting dunes" department...

PSP_007043_2650

Click to view attachment
Stu
Today's "Wall of Weird" entry...

From PSP_006804_2220...

Click to view attachment
ElkGroveDan
That image is reminiscent of the seasonal dry lake beds of California's high deserts and the American Southwest. It resembles mud/clay shrinkage that occurs in the late spring and early summer.
dvandorn
Exactly what I was thinking, Dan -- dried-up mud beds.

And, if I might add, they look somewhat freshly dried up. The abundance of craters into the most recently "applied" surface seems negligible to nonexistant. Yes, this surface covers over some older craters, but almost no craters have been punched into it.

Of course, I don't know how large of an area this image covers... if it's small enough, the lack of observed craters isn't that statistically meaningful.

-the other Doug
ElkGroveDan
I might also add that the "lumpy" features along the perimeters of the cracks appear to be some kind of mineral accretions that are likely building up from one season to the next. Each time the mud grows and shrinks, residual dissolved minerals in the medium accrue on the surface of the previous year's deposits.

At least that's how it would work if this were an earthly playa, but since we all know that's impossible on Mars.....
n1ckdrake
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Mar 5 2008, 11:16 PM) *
Of course, I don't know how large of an area this image covers... if it's small enough, the lack of observed craters isn't that statistically meaningful.

The size of the area shown in Stu's image is approx. 3 miles in length.
n1ckdrake
North high latitude crater - CTX Image Data: T01_000857_2581

Click to view attachment

n1ckdrake
Proctor Crater dunes - CTX Image Data: P01_001558_1325_XI_47S326W

Click to view attachment
AndyG
There's a certain...

...about those dunes. Yum!

Andy
nprev
Andy, you can take the first bite... tongue.gif

Remarkable shots, all. Particularly struck by Stu's 'mudflats', though...in what latitude is this feature located?
Stu
That Proctor image made me swear just as much as the avalanche pics... absolutely stunning... ohmy.gif

re "mudflats" image: it's in Utopia... 41.5 N 83 E

HiRISE page
djellison
This thread is at 12.4 meg of attachments and growing rather rapidly - far more so than any discussion elsewhere. Someone ( aka me and Joe ) has to back that up, move it to the new server, and then start backing it up from there. Unless it's a truly exceptional image, can you exhibit a bit more restraint (or compression, or resizing in a downward direction), especially with the artistic impressions that whilst very pretty, probably show less detail than their source material.

Doug

ElkGroveDan
There's also the route of hosting the images on a free server like Photobucket or such. When you have created a nice picture, you can make a 150 pixel wide thumbnail for uploading to this thread, and then link it to the higher res version on your free server.

Example:

My Weekend on Titan
peter59
Several incredible boulders!
Click to view attachment
PSP_005701_1920
jamescanvin
QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 6 2008, 03:07 PM) *
Unless it's a truly exceptional image, can you exhibit a bit more restraint (or compression, or resizing in a downward direction), especially with the artistic impressions that whilst very pretty, probably show less detail than their source material.

I really like seeing these interesting bits from the images. I am considering restarting my HiPOD idea/this thread idea, but on a separate site to remove the need for adding too much to the UMSF backup. I would welcome anyone who wanted to help out with this, finding out the good stuff and maybe providing some comments on them.

James
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.