Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cassini at Saturn Interactive Explorer (CASSIE)
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini general discussion and science results
ugordan
I just noticed this new feature on the Cassini home page, anybody tried it out yet?

I remember Emily mentioning this a while ago in one of her blog entries, I guess the tool has finally seen the light of day.
djellison
QUOTE (ugordan @ Jan 31 2008, 08:26 PM) *
I remember Emily mentioning this a while ago in one of her blog entries,

Cough ahem smile.gif That was me reporting from Europlanet smile.gif

The potential for this stuff are amazing - some of the idea that Kevin Hussey and his team have in the pipeline are just brilliant.

Doug

ugordan
QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 31 2008, 09:46 PM) *

Oops! My bad, Doug!

Allow me to rephrase that "I remember Emily mentioning reading about this a while ago in one of her the TPS blog entries" wink.gif
elakdawalla
smile.gif I'm glad you posted that, Doug, because I was racking my brain, trying to think of when I'd heard about this before!

It's pretty neat. I can think of several things I'd like to see added to it that would make it more useful to me but probably needlessly (and confusingly) complex for the people they're aiming this tool for. As it is, it's pretty cool to watch it in action. What I've had the most fun with so far is spinning around in the Mission Overview window, seeing how the shape of Cassini's orbit passes through the other moons' orbits, and specifically noting where it crosses Titan's; then you can see how every time Cassini and Titan are in the same place at the same time, the orbit bends.

Neato.

--Emily
jsheff
QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 31 2008, 03:46 PM) *

The potential for this stuff are amazing - some of the idea that Kevin Hussey and his team have in the pipeline are just brilliant.

Doug

Hi, Doug,

I'd like to alert the yahoo Cassini discussion group (of which I'm the moderator) about it, but I'm not sure how to give you due credit to have pointed it out. Suggestions?

- John Sheff
Cambridge, MA
djellison
Oh heck, I didn't point it out this time around, UG did. You could do a 'If you remember Doug's Glogging about this visualisation web app for Cassini a few months ago..well it's now out' - type thing smile.gif

I wish, I really wish I could download it and keep it locally.

Doug
PhilCo126
CASSIE Cassini At Saturn Interactive Explorer
online source: http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/CASSIE/
ElkGroveDan
Hey that is really cool. Thanks again Emily for giving us the heads-up about this. biggrin.gif
jasedm
For those interested, an updated version of this tool is now available with some extra features

Available to download here

Very useful for visualising the on-going mission, as the program now shows camera pointing and distance to targets as well as spacecraft orientation - Check it out - it's great!

The Cassini-Huygens mission continues to trump every other UMSF project with regard to accessibility of raw data, resources, blogs and outreach.

Nice.
Airbag
Really nice. Love watching the "magrolls" (or whatever they call them on the Cassini project) and transitioning between the spin and 3-axis stabilized modes. Wish there was a "real time" mode though (or did I miss it?) so you can just have that window open all the time and "see what Cassini is doing now" once in a while.

Airbag
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.