Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1999CG9
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Earth & Moon > Lunar Exploration
As old as Voyager
Does anyone know if asteroid 1999CG9 was ever confirmed as a rogue piece of the Moon knocked off by a large impact?

http://www.klet.org/html/1999cg9.html

It would be fascinating to try and match 1999CG9's composition with the lunar surface to try and identify its parent crater or basin. A study of the asteroid's orbital stability would also yield important clues as to how long it has been in solar orbit, and therefore its likely lunar originating site.

I've contacted the people involved in the original identification of 1999CG9 as likely of lunar origins but have had no reply.
Holder of the Two Leashes
It has not been confirmed, and it is unlikely to be anytime soon. Sorry.

There were a total of 47 observations back in 1999, spanning 24 days, 45 of which were good enough to establish a reasonably accurate orbit.

Said observations were not good enough to establish a rotation period. There were no successful spectroscopic observations, assuming any were even attemped. This info comes from here . By the time the orbit was computed, it was already dimmer than 19th magnitude.

The next close approach will be in the latter part of August, 2010, the first since '99. It will get just barely brighter than 21st magnitude, so spectroscopic observations will be challenging. If it turns out to be C type, then it didn't come from the moon. Signs of water - probably not from the moon, either. Anything else and it might be from the moon. As always, a sample return is really required to nail it. Or maybe a sophisticated lander.

Back in '99, this discovery started a bit of a dust up among certain factions of the UFO and conspiracy groups. There was even some talk about a "Vatican coverup", whatever that was about. Some of these dear souls probably were contacting the discoverers, which may have led to their reluctance to get back to you, not knowing who you were.
As old as Voyager
Thanks for your help.

I really hope someone is planning some more observations in August 2010.

I'd love to write a piece on it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.