Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Happy Anniversary Opportunity
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Astro0
Coming up tomorrow...let's start the celebration.

Congratulations Opportunity and the MER Team on 4 years of MER1 operations on Mars.
I'm sure that everyone on UMSF wishes you all the best and sends to you our thanks for everything you've done and achieved.
Click to view attachment

Astro0

EDIT: For anyone who missed Spirit's anniversary
djellison
I should probably ban myself for this...

FOUR MORE YEARS.....FOUR MORE YEARS

smile.gif

Doug
nprev
WOW, Astro0...beautiful!!! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Hell, I'll join ya, Doug...let's go for the full 8-year term, by all means. Congratulations to the MER team for this remarkable achievement for both of the rovers! Special congratulations to the designers, builders, and technicians for giving us these unbelievably robust machines; you guys are officially multi-world class talent!
dvandorn
I think Vegas ought to have a betting pool on whether one or both MERs will be operating when MSL lands.

-the other Doug
climber
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Jan 24 2008, 05:31 AM) *
I think Vegas ought to have a betting pool on whether one or both MERs will be operating when MSL lands.

-the other Doug

I remember a question may be 2 years ago and now burried in the + 100.000 pots, of somebody saying just that.
Been there when Phoenix will land was a mad dream at this time, but one individual, I can't remember who, asked us if we believe one of the two could be there when MSL lands. Not a mad dream anymore, more like a hope. Will see.
Thanks Astro for your magnificent anniversary card and GO Oppy, go.
Doc
I remember seeing the first image from Oppy and I had to gasp with amazement when I saw the terrain. It was like nothing Ive have ever seen before on the martian surface.
The rovers have certainly succeded to amaze us and I hope that they may live for as long as their electronics can hold up.

Here's to another adventurous year!
ustrax
QUOTE (climber @ Jan 24 2008, 07:16 AM) *
I can't remember who, asked us if we believe one of the two could be there when MSL lands. Not a mad dream anymore, more like a hope. Will see.

Congratulations Oppy! I'm sure we'll be around in 2012 to salute the 8th anniversary of the incredible adventure of a plucky little rover! biggrin.gif

climber, regarding MSL and Oppy, I remember this post from the ZuperNuts thread... tongue.gif
climber
September 2006! Not too bad, I remember this too, but I guess it was even earlier than this...when SS was already saying "there are old, they can die anyday, each Sol is a bonnus.." sort of things biggrin.gif tongue.gif
ups
If someone would have told me 4 years ago that these little rovers would still be chugging along producing solid science and images I would have thought them crazy.

I wonder how many people on the team have thought, 'what have I got myself into -- they were only supposed to last 90 days !? '

smile.gif
edstrick
....and how many spouses or "significant others" or children are saying .... "If I could only <violent reference deleted> that <expletive deleted> pair of rovers..."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.