Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Happy New Year
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
Astro0
Thought I'd get in early (with just a few hours to go here in Australia until 2008) to say Happy New Year to everyone on UMSF.
I hope that everyone will have a great time, be safe and make it back for a fantastic year in space coming up in 2008.

Cheers
Astro0
nprev
Happy New Year to you also, Astro0, and to everyone else! smile.gif Many things to come: Messenger's first flyby, potential asteroid impact on Mars, Phoenix landing...gonna be a good year for UMSF!
PhilCo126
I guess You all saw this ISS onboard shot already:
http://www.ussr-airspace.com/catalog/images/1.jpg

Although they could celebrate the New Year about 16 times, as they pass over the different time-zones, the ISS-crew will celebrate in GMT time I believe? wink.gif
Ant103
Good 2008 year UMSF!!!

This the first post of the year. You must know that I'm in France and we are now in 2008 smile.gif. And most of people now are always in 2007. Strange moment. Very precious.

Have a good year, a good health and many sort of things like that wink.gif.
djellison
Ahh - good old UK....running on GMT. I like 2007 - it's nice - I've got 46 minutes of it left smile.gif

For those who've already embarked upon, or who are about to embark upon 2008 - may it bring you everything you hope for (apart from a dedicated server for UMSF, because we can't afford it smile.gif )

Doug
Stu
Happy New Year to everyone on UMSF, wherever you are, from me in Kendal, gateway to the South Lakes, where the drizzle is falling and drunks who only know the first line of "Auld Lang's Ayne" are watching damp fireworks putt-putting into an orange sky...

Here's to a fantastic '08, with more wonders to enjoy, both anticipated and out of the blue... we truly live in a golden age of exploration, and I'm glad every day that I share it with all of you here.

Go Messenger! Go Phoenix! Go Spirit and Oppy! smile.gif

(right, where's that glass of wine...?!?!)
djellison
HOOTENANNY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hootenanny_%28UK_TV_Show%29
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Stu @ Dec 31 2007, 04:29 PM) *
where the drizzle is falling and drunks who only know the first line of "Auld Lang's Ayne" are watching damp fireworks putt-putting into an orange sky...

ROTFL! laugh.gif I have to remember that one. Thanks for bringing smiles to all of us all year Stu with your wonderful command of the English language. Happy New Year.

My sky is orange because the sun is just now setting. We'll be joining you on the other side in about 7 more hours.
Nix
Happy 2008 to all ! Amazing how this countdown makes you realize all the better just how 'spread-out' we UMSF are. We're all over the globe and yet we'r not that big, ...and we don't have to since we are the best ph34r.gif
A special thanks to the core of this forum, you know who you are, keeping up good discussion and healthy curiosity, providing latest processed imagery, dedicated specific work, a good dose of humor, and respect. Thank you. I think I can speak for the majority smile.gif

Nico, Anne, Marie, Louise

mad.gif unsure.gif huh.gif ph34r.gif smile.gif laugh.gif blink.gif rolleyes.gif
Stu
Thanks Dan, appreciate that. smile.gif

Oppy New Year everyone..! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
CAP-Team
And a very happy new year from the Netherlands as well biggrin.gif
marsbug
Happy new year unmanned spaceflight fans, it's looking to be an interesting one! Cheers one and all! smile.gif smile.gif
scalbers
Happy New Year - nice to see a JPL float in the Rose Parade today...
Tesheiner
All the best for everyone here on UMSF.
Happy 2008!
Paolo
And a happy 2008 from Italy as well!
I sincerely wish you a "real life 2008" as happy as the 2008 we are going to have in UMSF, with the Mercury 1 and Steins flyby, Chandrayaan launch, Phoenix landing etc...
vikingmars
smile.gif Dear UMSF members,
Following last year's topic,
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ost&p=79056
here are 10 new images taken last WE in Paris, just made for you to enjoy the "most beautiful (and romantic) city in the world", as usually said ...
Wish you were here !
...and many thanks again for the efficient & friendly work of our Forum Administrators !
Enjoy ! laugh.gif
ElkGroveDan
Beautiful photography. Thank you and Happy New Year.
Paolo
(unnecessary quoting removed by efficient & friendly Forum Administrator)

Very nice pictures, thank you! I really love Paris, and I enjoy coming there every other years for the air show. I will be there next 29 February with my girlfriend
vikingmars
it's a new record - an inline quote of a post that included a moderator message about deleting an inline quote. - Doug

smile.gif Thanks Paolo for your kind comments !
Ant103
Beautiful pictures Olivier smile.gif. But, we can see clearly the excess of light, the light who is propagated in the atmosphere and cause light pollution. It's a shame for me... I find that very sad sad.gif. The astronomic sky isn't recongnizable near these big town...
climber
I agree Ant, but well, you know, where can we go ?
Mercury's too hot
You can't see through Venus' atmosphere
Mars' too dusty
Jupiter's got too many brigth sattelites
There's a big ring that block the view when you're on Saturn
Uranus' too tilted
Neptune's, may be, Neptune!
Pluto's no longer a planet

Happy New year on Earth anyway
Ant103
Hum... I want to go here : http://www.sergebrunier.com/gallerie/paysage-atacama/
nprev
Ant, try here instead. The skies are dark because the cities are small & distant, the altitude is high enough so that there's no haze, and best of all there is lodging and food readily available... tongue.gif
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (nprev @ Jan 5 2008, 03:31 PM) *
and best of all there is lodging and food readily available... tongue.gif

Not to mention world class skiing, large game hunting, fantastic fishing, hiking and a top notch University where I resided as "BozemanDan" from 1982-1986.

And you can read about it all in an exciting novel.
vikingmars
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Jan 5 2008, 03:53 PM) *
Beautiful pictures Olivier smile.gif. But, we can see clearly the excess of light, the light who is propagated in the atmosphere and cause light pollution. It's a shame for me... I find that very sad sad.gif. The astronomic sky isn't recongnizable near these big town...

smile.gif Yes Ant103 : you are damn right about city lights pollution in Paris. But sometimes, only after a strong wind coming from the Atlantic ocean washes the aerosols, we can have then some wonderful star and planet sightings with nice contrast (not the faintest stars of course, but some friends at La Sorbonne Observatory and at Orsay campus succeeded in seeing and some objects such as M13, M42, M57...) huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.