Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Identify the Unmanned Spacecraft
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
PhilCo126
Could anyone ID this spacecraft rolleyes.gif
Del Palmer
Looks like an RCA Satcom K1 (geostationary communications satellite).
djellison
That guy has 'RCA' on his coat I think. I googled for 'satellite RCA' and found that it was the guys involved with Direct TV.

Enough googling, and I'm thinking the Anik B platform

http://satjournal.tcom.ohiou.edu/issue4/historal_hybrid.html

The KSC website is being crap at the moment - but it might have been a later Shuttle launched version of the same thing.

Doug
Phil Stooke
It's the coffee machine in the KSC cafeteria.

Phil
nprev
<Bender voice> Hey there, momma! Rrrrowww!!!</Bender voice> tongue.gif
djellison
I swear the coffee machine in the staff room behind the operating theatres in a nearby hospital where I was dong some filming was more complicated than that spacecraft...it was certainly more complicated to operate than any of the procedures being done in the operating theatre next door.

Doug
nprev
I saw a DirecTV SV containerized a few months back; they're not very big either, if this is in fact what it is.
Ant103
QUOTE (nprev @ Dec 27 2007, 03:30 AM) *
<Bender voice> Hey there, momma! Rrrrowww!!!</Bender voice> tongue.gif

<Fry voice>Yess, momma! ... Wait... Ahhh, I'm not a robot!</Fry voice>
tty
QUOTE (djellison @ Dec 27 2007, 10:54 AM) *
it was certainly more complicated to operate than any of the procedures being done in the operating theatre next door.

Nothing strange in that. Medical equipment has to be reasonably simple to operate for safety reasons, there is no such requirement for a coffee machine.

"Warum es einfach machen, wenn man es so schön komplizieren kann" as it said on a placard in a german drawing office.
nprev
Argh...time to drag out the 3 years of high-school German I took but never used for an attempt at translation (tell me if I'm close):

"Why make it hard? Because man finds complexity beautiful!"
JRehling
"Why make it simple when it can be so beautifully complicated?"
PDP8E
that's an early RCA microwave oven

they were in a microwave oven race with Raytheon at the time

this one was deployed on the Naval Carrier USS Enterprise to speed up meal times and the fact that this prototype oven required a 1.3 gigawatt nuclear power connector
nprev
QUOTE (JRehling @ Dec 27 2007, 02:02 PM) *
"Why make it simple when it can be so beautifully complicated?"

rolleyes.gif ...Well, I done went & mangled that, didn't I? Point well taken, though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.