Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Pit" images
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > MRO 2005
Stu
Okay, I'm a bit confused here and hoping someone can help me out. On Phil Plait's BAD ASTRONOMY blog he is running down his list of "Top Ten Images" of 2007... some gorgeous pictures, one of them being an MRO image of one of the "pits" On Mars. The thing is, I can't recall ever seeing this particular image, nothing like anything this detailed, so I'm wondering did I miss something?

Left: best HiRISE "pit" image I can find. Right: the image on Phil Plait's site.

Click to view attachment

blink.gif
ugordan
QUOTE (Stu @ Dec 14 2007, 04:30 PM) *
I'm wondering did I miss something?

I was wondering the same thing. I don't think that's the same pit, I must have missed the release Phil mentioned.
djellison
Ditto - I can't find that on the HiSite... two versions of that first 'hole' - sure - but not that one Phil has cited.

Doug
OWW
Here it is. The one on the left.

http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/PSP_003317_1975
Stu
QUOTE (OWW @ Dec 14 2007, 07:50 PM) *
Here it is.

Many thanks for tracking that down. Don't know how I missed it. Good to catch up! smile.gif
PhilCo126
Mysterious Mars mars.gif
cool.gif
nprev
Indeed. mars.gif There's a novel waiting in those pits for someone to write...
robspace54
QUOTE (nprev @ Dec 15 2007, 04:38 PM) *
Indeed. mars.gif There's a novel waiting in those pits for someone to write...

I think that Gregory Benford explored this in "The Martian Race." But my copy is at home, so I can't be exactly sure.

Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.