Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Navy slang in space?
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
dvandorn
I've noted that two Navy CDRs on Apollo flights (Conrad and Young) both used the word "started" when context would indicate they meant "targeted." Conrad says it when he spots Surveyor Crater during final descent ("It's started right for the center of the crater!") and Young uses it when praising the targeting after his landing ("You guys just started us right in there.").

I bet we have a few ex-Navy types out there. Any of you have a clue as to whether "started" in Navy terms means "targeted"?

-the other Doug
nprev
I'm not Navy, but have also noticed a lot of naval terms used in MSF, "docking" being the most obvious example. (Don't tell Air Force Space Command, though; they'll get quite upset! tongue.gif )

Of course, I'm certain that some other Navy & joint service slang terms that are not ready for prime time are used frequently when not on hot mike... rolleyes.gif IIRC, the Apollo 10 crew used several, uh, interjections & nouns during an unexpected LM maneuver while in lunar orbit that caused someone at JSC to hang a sign in Mission Control that said something like 'Apollo 10 mission: For mature audiences only!'
Jim from NSF.com
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Nov 23 2007, 11:08 PM) *
I've noted that two Navy CDRs on Apollo flights (Conrad and Young) both used the word "started" when context would indicate they meant "targeted." Conrad says it when he spots Surveyor Crater during final descent ("It's started right for the center of the crater!") and Young uses it when praising the targeting after his landing ("You guys just started us right in there.").

I bet we have a few ex-Navy types out there. Any of you have a clue as to whether "started" in Navy terms means "targeted"?

-the other Doug

"Started" as in "placed" for Young. Just like this example: "I didn't know where to go until you started me out in the right place"

It isn't a Navy term, just poor english
nprev
cool.gif ....Ahrrrrrr....

Seriously, though, there does seem to be a significant amount of wet Navy terminology creeping into MSF, which is not only a result of the backgrounds of many US astronauts but also due to the nature of the environment. Notice the fact that during STS-120 the ISS crew announced Discovery's departure in traditional naval style, with a bell & announcement.

Not a bad thing at all...it's a noble and very ancient set of traditions (bet if anyone looked hard enough they'd find connections clear back to the Phoenicians) that helps us keep a familiar frame of reference in an otherwise utterly unfamiliar place.

Sail on, me hearties, sail on...sail on forever, till we've seen the last star, the last world...
dvandorn
QUOTE (nprev @ Nov 26 2007, 10:32 PM) *
...Notice the fact that during STS-120 the ISS crew announced Discovery's departure in traditional naval style, with a bell & announcement.

This, along with many other ISS traditions (including its informal radio callsign, Alpha) was established more than seven years ago by the first expedition crew, commanded by Bill Shepherd.

Shepherd was USN, of course. An ex-Seal, to be specific. But it was Shepherd who brought the ship's bell to ISS, and who instituted the "ringing in" of all new and visiting crew.

-the other Doug
nprev
I like it. smile.gif It's somehow very comforting to see the establishment of traditions in space travel, and I think that it's needed.

Naval traditions arose from extended periods of exposure to the unknown, distance from family & friends, and the need to establish a routine, a framework for life...Shepherd did well, and hopefully this will continue.
edstrick
Heinlein systematically and carefully modified nautical conventions into space-faring ones in "Starman Jones", one of his best so-called juveniles.

Feintuch systematically used them in his series of starflight, colonization and space-war novels... very Hornblower'ish.
dvandorn
And, of course, the Star Trek universe's Starfleet is a quasi-naval organization. It certainly borrows more from naval traditions than any other service traditions.

-the other Doug
dvandorn
And let's not forget the many manned spacecraft that have borne names of naval tradition -- Yankee Clipper, Intrepid, Endeavour (2), Challenger (2)... and Enterprise.

-the other Doug
paxdan
and the unmanned ones.

Beagle 2.
stevesliva
QUOTE (nprev @ Nov 27 2007, 01:16 AM) *
Naval traditions arose from extended periods of exposure to the unknown

and chastity
nprev
laugh.gif ...well, having sailed myself for a couple of years, yeah, I'm sure that inventing customs was one way to pass the time; also a good method to instill crew discipline. Fortunately, we always had gender-mixed crews & and ample library of movies (literally hundreds!) on Super-8 VHS...
PhilCo126
The only Navy talk I've heard:
“Any ship can be a minesweeper… once.”
"There are more planes in the ocean than submarines in the sky.”

laugh.gif
nprev
One set of terms I haven't heard are port & starboard, perhaps because spacecraft can maneuver in three dimensions.
dvandorn
Really? What do you think the P stands for in the P6 truss? Or the S in the S4 truss?

rolleyes.gif

-the other Doug
djellison
And the Port and Starboard wing surveys for the Shuttle smile.gif
nprev
Well, blow me down, to say nothing of standing corrected (two Dougs, after all, can't be wrong)....ahrrrr!!!! ph34r.gif

Just wait till I go in to work tomorrow & tell Air Force Space Command that they done screwed up & ceded manned spaceflight to the Navy; e-mails will be flying like bullets!!! (Cool; always need some extra entertainment on Mondays...tongue.gif)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.