Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HST and the Galileans
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Jupiter
tedstryk
Revisiting Ganymede again, here is an ACS HRC view I processed.

Click to view attachment
JRehling
QUOTE (tedstryk @ Nov 19 2007, 06:53 PM) *
Revisiting Ganymede again, here is an ACS HRC view I processed.

Man! Wish we'd had the Hubble in 1972!

Great work -- much better color balance than I've ever seen for a HST image of the Galileans. It's fun to see imaging of these worlds from 4.2 AU away, even if they pale in comparison to the closeups. Sort of a benchmark of telescopy since they were just barely resolvable pre-spacecraft.
tedstryk
I really hope they can fix ACS...It also got a great view of Io.

Click to view attachment

Also, here is a 1994 WFPC/2 and FOC merger (the color here is a bit funky because it is based on red/blue data with a synthetic green).

Click to view attachment
jasedm
These are amazing shots - Ionian volcanism visible from Earth orbit - who'd have thought it?
This for me is a massive argument for very powerful telescopes on the moon's surface, or at one of the earth's Lagrange points.
tedstryk
QUOTE (jasedm @ Nov 20 2007, 10:02 PM) *
These are amazing shots - Ionian volcanism visible from Earth orbit - who'd have thought it?
This for me is a massive argument for very powerful telescopes on the moon's surface, or at one of the earth's Lagrange points.

I think the Lagrange points would be better. The moon dust and lunar exosphere may get in the way on the lunar surface, particularly in the UV. By the way, here are some improved versions of the images, enhanced to show fine detail better.

Click to view attachment
climber
Realy impressive! I guess we didn't have such good quality pictures taken by the Voyagers before they were very close to the Jupiter's system.
I'm wondering if raw data of this quality exists that can be used to get the same for Ceres & Vesta ?
tedstryk
There is no ACS set for Vesta, and I have and am working on Ceres (Ceres has proved frustrating so far). I have done Faint Object Camera views of Vesta and Ceres though, along with a WFPC/2 view of Pallas that I posted here a while back.

Click to view attachment.
tfisher
QUOTE (tedstryk @ Nov 20 2007, 08:16 AM) *
I really hope they can fix ACS...It also got a great view of Io.

Good news on that topic -- they have an ACS repair planned and passed critical review for inclusion in next year's Hubble servicing mission. See
October 2007 ACS Repair Presentation
tedstryk
QUOTE (tfisher @ Nov 24 2007, 05:48 PM) *
Good news on that topic -- they have an ACS repair planned and passed critical review for inclusion in next year's Hubble servicing mission. See
October 2007 ACS Repair Presentation

That is great news. I had read that they were considering it, but good to hear it is progressing. Also, in the case of the WFC of ACS, they will also be adding the Wide Field Camera 3, successor to WFPC/2. It will have equal resolution to the ACS WFC, but a somewhat smaller field of view, and better resolution than the PC chip on WFPC/2.
Decepticon
tedstryk WOW!

Once again you have amazed me! Looking forward to your future Ceres images!
tedstryk
Here are a few others....

Io in front of Jupiter from WFPC/2 during the NH flyby.

Click to view attachment

Also, here is a view from 1992 from the FOC in Violet/Near Ultraviolet light.

Click to view attachment
volcanopele
May I ask where you get all these images, Ted? I might be interested in processing the Io images taken by HST.
tedstryk
QUOTE (volcanopele @ Nov 24 2007, 10:25 PM) *
May I ask where you get all these images, Ted? I might be interested in processing the Io images taken by HST.

From the HST Archive. http://archive.stsci.edu/hst/

The preview versions are worthless other than to identify the images, so I have the data staged to download.

Ted
tedstryk
I have an improved version of the 1994 image.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.