Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Voyager scan platform wire harnesses
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Beyond.... > Voyager and Pioneer
jgoldader
Hi again,

I'm trying to finish the RealSpace Models 1/24 Voyager model, and have run into a detail that appears in very few images. Though not represented on the Voyager mockups in the Air & Space Museum or Von Karman Auditorium, there are kapton-wrapped wire harnesses, two of them it seems, going down the boom from the bus to the scan platform and the mid-boom instruments.

What's got me stumped is how the wires in the bundle going to the scan platform ended up branching off into the individual instruments (SSI, UVS, IRIS). The only two images I've seen of the rear side of the scan platform were taken during testing, and it's not obvious which of the wires going to the various instruments belong in the wire harnesses.

Does anybody have a good picture showing the harnesses in flight position, with the wires going into the scan platform instruments? I've attached the two best images I've found showing the harnesses.

Thanks!
Jeff
PhilCo126
Jeff, I have some vintage NASA-JPL Voyager photographs and will check these out for You.
PhilCo126
Voyager cameras:
jgoldader
QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Nov 16 2007, 02:33 PM) *
Voyager cameras:

Thanks very much! That's a nice shot. From comparing it with the other pictures I've been able to find, it looks as if the final set of thermal blankets haven't yet been applied; I've never seen another image of the scan platform at this stage. The outer set of blankets have silvery seams where the pieces meet, whereas there's orange kapton tape at the edges of the blankets in your picture. Happily, the shot gives me a good idea of the color for the inside of the IRIS "tube." I hadn't found a good photo from this angle before.

I'm still looking for a good shot of the back side of the scan platform. I've sent a note to the Voyager project, but I have no idea if they'll be able to help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.