Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Burns Cliff Up Close
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
djellison
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...cam/2004-11-08/

LOTS of L2+L5, which means L7 will follow smile.gif A pan, or more probably a partial pan of Burnsie smile.gif

Doug
SFJCody
From 'What on Mars'
Burns Cliff
ilbasso
SFJ Cody,
Could you either excerpt the material at your link or provide a different one? I'm getting a message that I'm not authorized to view the link.

Thanks!
OWW
I think SFJCody wanted to show this picture:

http://whatonmars.com/womiod/11-2004/04_11_09_iod.html
SFJCody
QUOTE (ObsessedWithWorlds @ Nov 9 2004, 04:18 PM)
I think SFJCody wanted to show this picture:

http://whatonmars.com/womiod/11-2004/04_11_09_iod.html

That's the one. I guess they don't allow direct linking.

Another WOM link
djellison
Works fine here- looks like he fudged it using L2 + L5. I imagine L7 will be down over the next few sols

Doug
SFJCody
Nice navcam composite at the bottom of this page.
BruceMoomaw
Judging from the first four photos at http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...cam/2004-11-09/ , MER-B has not only arrived at Burns Cliff but is already in the process of analyzing it.
Sunspot
Put together this short pan of Burns Cliff from 4 L7 frames:
Pando
Here is a nice one from the geeks at JPL:
remcook
looks very steep! stunning! this is mars!
Sunspot
It must be very dissapointing seeing all these extraordinary features in Burns Cliff and not being able to reach out and touch them with the IDD blink.gif blink.gif
Baltic
I would really love to see the rover standing there! biggrin.gif

Tom
slinted
I did up a little false color pano from all the L257's that have come down so far (sols 288 through 294). There are obivous brightness stretching inconsistancies between most of the images and some that are along the bottom and right side, but its still a good feel for the area. And, for the sake of saving my host space, its only half res. I can't wait to see the JPL version.

Half Res Version (3 meg)
djellison
EXCELLENT stitching work on that - your software really does produce the goods - just need to get balance between images right ( which is near impossible with the jpl jpg's )

Doug
slinted
The only downside of my penchant for automation (i'd rather not have to work the files by hand unless I have to) is
a) it takes a whole lot of computing time. That 40 image mosaic has more than 2000 control points from autopano, which makes it very unwieldy. Between the interpolation/projection in pano tools and the enblending, that one took upwards of 4 hours to finish. (I know I don't have a rocket of a computer either, its only an Athlon 2000)

and B) that i'm stymied by the differences between frames, although i'm very hopeful about finally figuring out the groups they tend to fall into. The frames that didn't line up colorwise are fairly consistant with each other, so there only appear to be 2 groups (or in other panos 3) specific stretchings that are used.
djellison
Never seen autopano before - all my stuff has been done with manual control points ohmy.gif On a 4 x 3 panorama, thats 17 different overlaps that I've done between 3 and 6 points for each - so roughly 100 control points

And all that time autopano was screaming "I'll do it - you go and have a cup of tea biggrin.gif "

Doug
slinted
I feel bad that I didn't say this earlier, but autopano does have a downside. Its license is in vague limbo. Since it is based on the SIFT detector, which is under the patent of the University of British Columbia, it has the following warning/license attached to it:

"This software is provided for non-commercial use only. The University of British Columbia has applied for a patent on the SIFT algorithm in the United States. Commercial applications of this software may require a license from the University of British Columbia."

Which is fine as long as its not used for any commercial purposes. Doing them by hand might have saved you the right to publish them if you had still planned on doing a book.
djellison
Oh - book wise will still be manual - there's no other way to go - especially w.r.t. horizons and stuff.

BUT

This - with 'enblend' - (which I hadnt seen earlier ) saves a lot of time and produces astonishing results for previewing panoramas to check for their worth, and doing big stuff for the web ohmy.gif

It even managed to pull off a good navcam pan in 2 mins tongue.gif

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.