Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The first "artificial planets"
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
Paolo
Tomorrow, 16 October, is the 50th anniversary of the launch of the Aerobee pellets, the first artificial objects to exceed escape speed

http://utenti.lycos.it/paoloulivi/aerobee.html
ElkGroveDan
Well now I'm not so sure about that. Were they able to "clear their neighborhood?" rolleyes.gif
Phil Stooke
Well, I would have got out of the way.

Zwicky later described this as a test of a concept to strike the Moon with a pellet so the surface composition could be measured from the spectrum of the flash. See Stooke (2007).

Phil
Paolo
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 16 2007, 02:15 AM) *
Zwicky later described this as a test of a concept to strike the Moon with a pellet so the surface composition could be measured from the spectrum of the flash. See Stooke (2007).

Now that's crazy! What are the chances of one such hit?
Phil Stooke
The Aerobee test would only have been the earliest stage in testing. An operational version would have been targetable.

Phil
nprev
Whole thing sounds like a downsized version of Fredric Brown's initial plot device in What Mad Universe (1949)...hit the Moon with something that goes boom, spectroanalyze the debris cloud.

Not that there's anything wrong with that; if so, it would have a Deep Impact on us all...

(runs like hell...)
Phil Stooke
Zwicky published his idea for hitting the Moon with a pellet in Spaceflight, v. 3, no. 5, September 1961, pp. 177-179. "Possible operations on the Moon".

Phil
PhilCo126
Interesting 'artifical planets' or satellites weblink: http://pagesperso-orange.fr/eurospace/espdatabase/index.html
Mongo
Whenever I hear the term "artificial planet" I always think of this: Supramundane Planets (ZIP file) That is an engineering plan for a REAL artificial planet!

Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.