Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Make your own image of Pluto
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Pluto / KBO
alan
Ever notice how the illustrations of Pluto you see in some science article look familiar?
For example there is this image from the New Scientist article I pointed out in another thread.
Click to view attachment
Some of you are probably thinking, 'hey Pluto looks a lot like Ganymede'
Sure enough, the illustration of Pluto, which includes the credit NASA/JPL is a slightly modified version of this image taken by Voyager 1
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA00352

It just been inverted and had its color balance shifted.

Seeing the NASA credit I did an image search hoping to find the article it was originally in. No such luck but I did find some more "images of Pluto" such as these, the second is supposed to be Pluto and Charon, I'm sure everyone recognizes Europa in the second image.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

From http://www.somewhereville.com/gnw/tas/other.html and http://library.thinkquest.org/06aug/01887/planets/pluto.html

Now you too can create your own image of Pluto. Here's how:

Step 1) Use Celestia to find an unfamiliar view of Ganymede and save the image
or select and image of Ganymede from Planetary Photojournal, not this one though
Click to view attachment
everyone will recognize that.

Step 2) Use any available image processing software to shift the color balance to give the image a blue-gray cast.

Step 3) Flip the image left to right and invert it or rotate the image to make it appear less familiar.

Presto, you have made an image of Pluto suitable for science articles on the internet and various astronomy websites
Click to view attachment
JRehling
[...]
tedstryk
And overlay it onto an image of bland old Rhea to produce a simulacrum of Pluto based on the improbable assumption of an ancient surface there. I was not ecstatic with the results.[/quote]

I think Ganymede gets picked because its splotchy albedo features are a lower contrast version of what we see at Pluto at very low resolution.
JRehling
[...]
ustrax
QUOTE (JRehling @ Oct 23 2007, 01:17 AM) *
I was a little happier with a later try.

I'm happy you tried it. I like the result and expect for another take on it... smile.gif
ugordan
QUOTE (JRehling @ Oct 23 2007, 02:17 AM) *
I was a little happier with a later try. Please take with grain of salt.

I'm wondering if Pluto'll turn out to be as heavily cratered as Rhea or more similar to Europa/Enceladus. Whether we like it or not, probably the best base image for Pluto would be Triton. You can't beat that orange skin look!
ustrax
I've made my own... rolleyes.gif

I've played around with this Hubble image (the left one) and used A LOT of artistic liberty...

Click to view attachment
nprev
QUOTE (ugordan @ Oct 23 2007, 06:36 AM) *
Whether we like it or not, probably the best base image for Pluto would be Triton. You can't beat that orange skin look!

Although not an imagesmith myself (you guys rule!), that's sort of been my baseline assumption all along, with the caveat that Triton's had much more tidal disruption, both previous & ongoing. Pluto IMHO will have an older surface, but altered by periodic sublimation/refreezing of its atmosphere; betting on some pretty unusual aeolian effects near local depressions, should NH be fortunate enough to overfly any at a close enough range for hi-res imagery.
tedstryk
QUOTE (nprev @ Oct 23 2007, 06:46 PM) *
Although not an imagesmith myself (you guys rule!), that's sort of been my baseline assumption all along, with the caveat that Triton's had much more tidal disruption, both previous & ongoing. Pluto IMHO will have an older surface, but altered by periodic sublimation/refreezing of its atmosphere; betting on some pretty unusual aeolian effects near local depressions, should NH be fortunate enough to overfly any at a close enough range for hi-res imagery.

Probably true, but you never know what the resonance between Pluto and Charon might do. One thing we do know is that the albedo variations on Pluto are much more intense. Pluto is one of the highest contrast worlds in the solar system, while Triton is very low contrast.
nprev
True, Ted.

Well, that's exactly why we generate UMSF missions on the first place..anybody else remember sodium "sputtering" from Io as an explanation for its plasma torus?....

Point being that we don't know squat till we go look. I'm certain that Pluto will be very surprising in many ways...safest bet in town, based on Cassini alone...
ugordan
QUOTE (nprev @ Oct 24 2007, 04:19 AM) *
Point being that we don't know squat till we go look.

And in most cases we still don't know squat till we go touch it. With unmanned fingers, of course.
JRehling
[...]
hendric
QUOTE (tedstryk @ Oct 23 2007, 04:45 PM) *
Pluto is one of the highest contrast worlds in the solar system.

Well, in *that* case, how about this attempt? smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Webscientist
Nice and more inspiring this one!
I'm also wondering what can be the tidal effects of that binary system ( Pluto, Charon ), the only system where the "center of mass" is outside the "mother planet".
Regarding the dark equatorial band, why not a mountain ridge similar to what we see on Iapetus! There may be exchanges of matter between Pluto and Charon resulting in a disk of dust around Pluto.
Let's recall that Charon is about 20 000 km from Pluto which is extremely close. So, why not a Io-like world! smile.gif
JRehling
[...]
Webscientist
The data about Pluto's surface are not consistent with the idea of an Io-like world. I was exaggerating!
Apparently, the atmosphere generates anti-greenhouse effects.
Charon is warmer.So, maybe, Charon benefits more from tidal heating.
Gladstoner
remcook
oooeee like that one!
Webscientist
Well,
No need to wait the arrival of New Horizons. We have it, already! cool.gif

Maybe, the surface appears a little more icy than that but I won't bet on it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.