Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cassini.rlproject.com ?
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini general discussion and science results
djellison
Just thinking, as MER interest falls off ( understandably ) - and we have 4 years of Cassini joy ahead of us - would it make sense to start a new url ( cassini.rlproject.com, or a dedicated URl as part of moving hosting firms ) - and a new forum, dedicated to Cassini / Huygens? It'd make sense to me, cull Cassini / huygens from here, move it all into a dedicated home for it?

Opinions?

Doug
Sunspot
QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 29 2004, 02:00 PM)
Just thinking, as MER interest falls off ( understandably ) - and we have 4 years of Cassini joy ahead of us - would it make sense to start a new url ( cassini.rlproject.com, or a dedicated URl as part of moving hosting firms ) - and a new forum, dedicated to Cassini / Huygens?  It'd make sense to me, cull Cassini / huygens from here, move it all into a dedicated home for it?

Opinions?

Doug

If Opportunity ever makes it out of Endurance Crater and starts that drive south we should have plenty more to see and talk about. biggrin.gif

I think your idea for a seperate Site for Cassini/Huygnes is a good one. smile.gif You could have sections for Rings, Moons, Titan, Saturn itself etc.
David
I have enjoyed mer.rlproject very much (though I don't have a lot to contribute, having no expertise in either imaging or in any of the space sciences); I would be very happy with a dedicated cassini.rlproject page. If I could make one recommendation for my own ease of web page navigation, it would be that there would also be one page that would link to both mer.rlproject.com and cassini.rlproject.com (and any other similar pages that exist in the future!).
remcook
I wouldn't certainly loose this site. The good thing was people fiddling with the raw MER images. Hope that still continues. But a seperate site is a good idea.
volcanopele
This sounds like a great idea, and I can pass around an email to some Titan people around here so they maybe they can be around to help answer questions, but keep in mind there is only so much we can say. I know it must be annoying how vague I have to be at times.
djellison
QUOTE (volcanopele @ Oct 29 2004, 07:43 PM)
This sounds like a great idea, and I can pass around an email to some Titan people around here so they maybe they can be around to help answer questions, but keep in mind there is only so much we can say. I know it must be annoying how vague I have to be at times.

Maybe it's annoying, maybe it isnt, I think I'll just leave you hanging on that one tongue.gif

It's quite clear a new site is what 'the people' want - so I'll put something together - the posts here will probably get copied over somehow - no idea how yet though smile.gif

Oh - and THIS one isnt going anywhere smile.gif

Doug
Bjorn Jonsson
Actually I think keeping everything at this site would be better, thus it could evolve from a MER-specific forum to a general solar system exploration forum. I'm not sure there's going to be enough Cassini-related activity (except for spikes during flybys like this week) to justify a separate site. This *might* change though, for example when the first batch of PDS Cassini imagery gets released next summer.
MizarKey
QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 29 2004, 02:00 PM)
Just thinking, as MER interest falls off ( understandably ) - and we have 4 years of Cassini joy ahead of us - would it make sense to start a new url ( cassini.rlproject.com, or a dedicated URl as part of moving hosting firms ) - and a new forum, dedicated to Cassini / Huygens? It'd make sense to me, cull Cassini / huygens from here, move it all into a dedicated home for it?

Opinions?

Doug

Doug, you run such a great forum, I hope you keep it all together. You could move everything to a new url, such as RSSR (Robotic Solar System Reconnaissance).

I like being able to easily move between the MER and Cassini folders.

Eric P / MizarKey
mhall
No need to create new entities - we all know where everything is, so why change? Maybe the forum title and/or URL could be made less MER-specific, though.

-- Martin
djellison
I think compartmenting things better here - but changing it from mer. to something else is probably the way to go. One forum - with wider content smile.gif

Doug
pioneer
I agree there ought to be another site for Cassini. It will have quite a bit of activity during each flyby - especially during the Huygens mission.
Pando
Why not have a section for every planet, it would be cool to discuss some long lost and recently found images of Venus' surface for example...
MizarKey
QUOTE (Pando @ Nov 2 2004, 07:53 PM)
Why not have a section for every planet, it would be cool to discuss some long lost and recently found images of Venus' surface for example...

djellison Posted on Nov 2 2004, 09:18 AM
  I think compartmenting things better here - but changing it from mer. to something else is probably the way to go. One forum - with wider content

Doug 

All the more reason to use something like rssr. for the url (Robotic Solar System Reconnaissance).

Also, I'm still waiting for Doug's coffee table MER book (try to keep it under $40 please).

Eric P / MizarKey
EckJerome
My two cents is to expand this site...as you say, one forum with wider content. I like one-stop shopping. biggrin.gif

(another) Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.