Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 20 new caves
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Mars
Pygmee
I was looking at some Mars Express pictures just for fun, and I saw little dark things on the ground. I think it's in fact "caves" (even if I don't like to call them like that) like the ones Mars Odyssey discovered. The holes have been taken by the Mars Express spacecraft and are all in the same area.

You can see them here : http://marscope.blogspot.com/2007/09/les-2...s-young-20.html or http://marscope.blogspot.com.

Please tell me if I'm wrong or not...
brellis
My relatively uninformed impression is that they're craters. You've come to the right place to find an expert opinion though. Others here will be able to offer expert opinions.
djellison
You have to be carefull claiming that you 'discovered' them. Are some of these included in the Odyssey finding etc etc.

Doug
scalbers
Most of them to me do look like they may be caves, or at least very deep craters. They have less of a sunlit inner rim than adjacent "normal" cup/bowl shaped craters.
djellison
They all look the same collapsed lava tube ceiling feature that we've found with Odyssey - I don't doubt that they're the same sort of feature.

Doug
Pygmee
QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 23 2007, 05:31 PM) *
You have to be carefull claiming that you 'discovered' them. Are some of these included in the Odyssey finding etc etc.

Doug

Maybe I've been a little pretentious. But I wonder why anyone else has never seen that before. However, I looked carefully at the Odyssey findings and none of these "caves" are listed. Thanks a lot for you comment ;-)
Juramike
Nice find.

Most seem to line up with collapsed areas that could presumably indicate lava tubes underneath. The one I find the most interesting is the first image. While there seems to be a collapsed tube nearby, the broader area around the hole (to my eyes) look like a broad circular depression (or is it raised? - hard to tell).

Where are all these features located?

Bien fait, dude: tu as trouvee des trous. smile.gif (Say that six times fast!)

-Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.