Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Re-reading 'Roving Mars"
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Conferences and Broadcasts
dvandorn
I'm a re-reader. When I come across a book I truly enjoy (even fiction), I'll re-read it many times. Some books I have read literally hundreds of times since my childhood.

I have read 'Roving Mars' by Steve Squyres probably 10 to 12 times since I got it when it came out a couple of years ago, though I hadn't re-read it in the last year or so. I just re-read it again.

It leaves a very unfinished feeling, reading Steve try to wrap up his book with "Well, gee, here we are at sol 227 for Opportunity and sol 248 for Spirit, and God only knows how few sols we have left." Talking about the incredible longevity the rovers had demonstrated. and how, as much as it would hurt, he would be incredibly proud of everything the MERs had accomplished if they died the next sol.

And here we are, more than a THOUSAND sols later, with two rovers that are, for the most part, still going strong. With untold adventures behind them that Steve could hardly have imagined when he was trying to wrap up their story.

I guess this is a somewhat roundabout way of saying...

I WANT MORE!

We need 'Still Roving Mars,' Steve. And then, when it comes time, 'Roving Mars Far Longer Than Anyone Would Have Believed.' And finally, 'The MER Story, or How We Drove to Join MSL'...

In other words, all kidding aside, it's time not for an extra chapter or two, but a whole second book. Steve doesn't have to do it alone -- there are lots of people who could contribute to follow-on books. But what I want, very specifically, is that "inside look" into the day-to-day operations and science planning that we got from the first book.

Anyone else think it's useless waiting for these little buggers to die before the next book comes out? I mean, I really don't want to wait until 2015 just to get the next thrilling installment... rolleyes.gif

-the other Doug
djellison
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Sep 18 2007, 06:59 AM) *
Anyone else think it's useless waiting for these little buggers to die before the next book comes out?

I think that's got to happen really - I want to see THE Steve meisterwerke - a second edition that gets printed, with a rover dying the day afterwards, would be a bit pointless. Better to wait until the adventure is finished, the scientific importance truely established, Steve and the team have had a nice holiday, and THEN get to the keyboard to bash out the story's we've got to hear about smile.gif

Doug
edstrick
A first version of the book was badly needed before the majority of the public who would be likely to buy the book had forgotten the mission.

A double length book, or a successor book will be needed, but it can wait till the end of the mission (Squyres better write a few chapters a year so his grandchildren can finish it when the rovers die in 100 years...)

What's more likely is a second edition with a all-too-short single added chapter at the end.
climber
Thanks to remind me to re-read the book O Doug,

My understand has always been that Steve will add a (some?) chapter(s), which I agree is a shame but what I can understand. Mer's will have "consumed" a part of his live anyway.
nprev
Actually, it would be appropriate for him to write a brand-new book (Still Roving Mars); great title, ODoug! smile.gif

Seriously--the extended missions of the MERs are worthy of their own tale, and the inevitable day when they are finished with their labors will be a major emotional event for many, many people. I hope that he will document this inspiring story of triumph and exploration beyond the wildest dreams of anyone at the start...
climber
Dear Other Doug,

I'll never say enough thanks to you to make me decide to re-read "Roving Mars" too.
I've just finished up today and it give me another burst to go explore HP & Vicky.
I've found an incredible number of details that I didn't see firts, or didn't understand (sometimes English's still a mistery too me blink.gif ) or that I only can understand now with a more back seat view. I can see in your last posts that you very often refer to facts that you've read recently there : you just CAN'T have such a big memory tongue.gif
The book ends at a time so remote! Imagine, 2 years ago!
I didn't remembered that Spirit right front weels started to drain to much current a few sols before she even get to Columbia Hills.
I didn't remember how much they were so concerned by Oppy's IDD heather and so worried about loosing Mini-TES that they did used it BEFORE starting the first Deep Sleep.
I discovered that the idea to put a canister on MSL (we're talking about recentely here) to be retrieved later was a thought they already had back even before starting to build MER.
I also see that the man I've talked to here : http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=3765 ,is in fact Miguel San Martin, the one that get the idea to use DIMES to make the TIRS used during landing. What a shame! I know Buenos Aires (where he's from) quite well so I could have had a nice conversation with him if my memory didn't let me down.
Now, I wonder if the operations still work the way they used too at the very biggining : Planing etc,...
I wonder if the'll stay on Mars time with Phoenix since it's not supposed to last that long? Can they use a two team shift instead ?
And now the last idea for Doug (I mean the REAL Doug) : next interview with Steve, just ask him about the follow up of his book!

On Oppy's landing night, I can still hear Sean O'Keaffe saying "What a night, what a night"
I only can say : What a story, what a story !
Thanks again O Doug !
djellison
Whenever I'm not sure what to read - I reach for one of three books.

Thrust by Richard Noble

Beyond the Limit by Sir Ranulph Fiennes

Roving Mars by Steve Squyres

All are an inspiration and an example to us all.

They say 'never meet your heroes'. I've met two of the three, and neither were a disapointment.

Doug
nprev
That's an inspiring statement in itself, Doug.

When I was quite young, I met Scott Carpenter, Evel Knievel, and the lead singer for Steppenwolf (forget his name) for 1/3...might be some sort of correlation there...
dvandorn
Thanks for the warm regards, Climber! However, I will somewhat diffidently point out that I'm the *other* Doug -- that doesn't render me unreal. (I do quite a good enough job of that all by myself, thanks... rolleyes.gif )

-the other, but nonetheless real, Doug smile.gif
climber
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Sep 27 2007, 05:42 AM) *
Thanks for the warm regards, Climber! However, I will somewhat diffidently point out that I'm the *other* Doug -- that doesn't render me unreal. (I do quite a good enough job of that all by myself, thanks... rolleyes.gif )
-the other, but nonetheless real, Doug smile.gif

That's just "unreal" situation wink.gif
LivingNDixie
I hope he does a whole second edition when the rovers finally die. Heck I would not be surprised if funding cuts the rovers off before the mechanics of them gives way to fatigue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.