Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Send Your Name to the Moon...Again!
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Earth & Moon > Lunar Exploration
punkboi
While more than 412,000 names and messages will hopefully be heading towards the Moon tonight onboard Japan's Kaguya spacecraft, you can submit your name again (courtesy of The Planetary Society)...this time onboard NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter...

http://planetary.org/special/fromearth/lro

HURRY! Deadline is March 31, 2008. smile.gif
lyford
Signed in, but no love for Mac users on the certificate....

Tried Safari, Camino AND FireFox....

IIRC, the PS had this issue before on other certificates, but was able to fix it. mad.gif
elakdawalla
Really sorry about that. I'm not sure what the nature of the problem is, but it's been worked on, and we can't seem to make it work. The only thing Mac users can do is to download the certificate and fill in your name yourself. Make sure that it doesn't open in Preview, you need to open it as a PDF.

Really dumb, I know, but that seems to be the answer we've got for you. sad.gif

--Emily
lyford
I could have sworn there was a workaround, as I have PDFs on my drive - but those may be from JPL instead now that I think of it....

FWIW, I was able to get Preview to accept the edits though by doing a "save as." That way I can make sure the proper certificate number is recorded. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
If I read the certificate copy out loud, for some reason I feel the need to say "Now here's Emily back with some more Q&A" at the end.
dvandorn
Well, LRO will outdo Kaguya for number of names, anyway. I just signed up for the LRO program and got certificate number one million, one hundred and sixty-nine.

biggrin.gif

-the other Doug
punkboi
Deadline changed to May 1, 2008. LRO should DEFINITELY have a lot more names onboard than Kaguya if this opportunity ends 7 months from now... wink.gif
punkboi
Odd... That LRO page was taken down. Perhaps Goddard Spaceflight Center changed their mind and didn't want the names of non-rocket scientists gracing their spacecraft? Or having TWO spacecraft orbiting the moon with the names of civilians onboard was a bit superfluous? tongue.gif
elakdawalla
Turns out the release was premature; a few HQ hoops yet to be jumped through. Don't worry, if you signed up while the page was up, we still have your names on file. Stay tuned.

--Emily
punkboi
Thanks for the info, Emily. I thought someone at Goddard wasn't as into the whole public relations thing as JPL and JAXA are...

biggrin.gif
elakdawalla
Goddard is very much as on board as we, JPL, and JAXA are!

--Emily
punkboi
That's great news. Well... For those who haven't submitted their names yet. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.