Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2007-08-27 Odyssey release
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > Mars Odyssey
atomoid
2007-08-27 release

...never mind the fascinating modified ejecta, look just right of the middle at the very bottom of the image.

Odd I See an almost mathematically smooth bump at the bottom of the image. Details in the bigger image. Its probably nothing too special, but ive never seen anything quite like it in the context its in. and it has a very cinder-cone-like pointy shadow. looks much newer than the surrounding terrain. odd indeed.
mgrodzki
is there any attention to this? odd indeed.
Phil Stooke
Hills like this are common on Mars. There's nothing unusual about it. It is more likely to be older than its surroundings.

Phil
djellison
It's just on the NNE rim of Gusev - I've looked for MOC / HiRISE / CTX imagery but no luck.

Doug
Stu
Spotted something else interesting, farther up the image...

Click to view attachment

Might be just imagining it but can anyone else see a plume with a shadow cast on the ground beneath it? Dust devil? Something else..? huh.gif
ustrax
QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 3 2007, 02:07 PM) *
Might be just imagining it but can anyone else see a plume with a shadow cast on the ground beneath it? Dust devil? Something else..? huh.gif

Stu, looks to me like an elevation similar to the one on the bottom of the image, but I might be also imagining stuff... smile.gif

Click to view attachment
TheChemist
The hill can be seen in the Viking context image for MOC e1100677, which BTW partly overlaps with PIA09467 :
http://ida.wr.usgs.gov/fullres/context/e11...e1100677_gr.jpg
atomoid
...so right about center in this bit here, then. thanks, nice find, gives context.
Click to view attachment
I combed HRSC images on the esa site but nothing seems to hit the right spot.

Here's a similar hill in Auream Chaos.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.