Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Phoenix Launch News
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > Phoenix
Pages: 1, 2
ustrax
I have a feeling telling me to start this one... smile.gif
nprev
From your blog: "...science, hard work and truth." Can't think of a better motto for this event... smile.gif
Zvezdichko
Right now there is no news. And no news is good news. I hope there won't be any issues with first stage loading, tower retraction and so on. And the weather is on our side.
ElkGroveDan
nprev
Yeah, sorry about the erroneous weather allusion on the other thread. Was using Google News, didn't note the source, but I think now that there's some advance concern for Endeavour, not Phoenix; either the article or I mixed things up.

GO PHOENIX!!!
Zvezdichko
QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 3 2007, 09:02 PM) *
Yeah, sorry about the erroneous weather allusion on the other thread. Was using Google News, didn't note the source, but I think now that there's some advance concern for Endeavour, not Phoenix; either the article or I mixed things up.

GO PHOENIX!!!

Don't worry.
In case weather worsens for the first launch opportunity we could skip it and proceed with the second... I don't believe that weather is the big issue for tomorrow.
BPCooper
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Aug 3 2007, 04:52 PM) *

I hate to say it but that's pad B with Dawn's rocket :-\

Phoenix was on the left from your viewpoint.
helvick
Why's that picture on the Phoenix home page then?
ugordan
Should we also be starting a "Phoenix Post-launch News" thread? tongue.gif
Tom Tamlyn
Ben,

How many cameras have you set up for the Phoenix launch?

TTT
elakdawalla
A bunch of pictures of Phoenix' instruments were posted on Photojournal today. There's a nice illustration of the business end of the robotic arm:
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA09949

I also note that that is number 9949 on Photojournal...should just be a couple weeks before they hit 10,000 ohmy.gif

--Emily
punkboi
QUOTE (helvick @ Aug 3 2007, 02:53 PM) *
Why's that picture on the Phoenix home page then?

Ignore it. Despite having a nice layout, there are so many faults with the Phoenix website. wink.gif
Zvezdichko
What's the status with the rollback? I woke up a little late and can't track the latest status...
Jim from NSF.com
watch here
http://countdown.ksc.nasa.gov/elv/
Zvezdichko
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/phoenix/status.html

The current update is already here.
djellison
That was damn fast to 10,003 gallons. I wish I could fill up our Ford Focus that fast smile.gif

Doug
Zvezdichko
... and now, waiting for LOX fill smile.gif By the way did you see the last update on NASA Website? Now only 10% chance of weather prohibiting launch.
djellison
Well the weather briefing guy just said 20% - but they almost never say less than that.

Doug
Zvezdichko
... and we have LOX fill ongoing smile.gif Thumbs up for successful load!
punkboi
Living in California, I went to bed around 10 PM to try to get 4 hours of sleep, before getting back on the comp around 2 AM to catch the last 26 minutes of the countdown. Needless to say, there's still an hour left before launch...and I obviously couldn't get back to sleep. Too much excitement! biggrin.gif

EDIT: Weather officer HAS IMPROVED the launch weather forecast to 90%!
Zvezdichko
Nobody can sleep right know biggrin.gif

now performing tests on the engines
Ant103
I'm in smile.gif

Here in France, the Sun is high in the sky biggrin.gif but I'm awake since 7 a.m (paris local time, GMT+2). I have sleeping a little between 7 and now...

I am watching NasaTV and all seems to be okay, no? smile.gif
paxdan
howdy folks....

i'm in
djellison
These 'live' threads can get a bit crazy and pointless - so for those wanting something a bit like that...

UMSF Chat
djellison
Away on time, beautifully.
mars loon
Parking orbit achieved SECO done !!!
mars loon
Update from spaceflightnow.com

0936 GMT (5:36 a.m. EDT)

T+plus 9 minutes, 28 seconds. SECO 1. The second stage engine cutoff has occurred, completing the motor's first firing of the day. The Delta 2 rocket and Phoenix have arrived in a preliminary orbit around Earth following launch this morning from Cape Canaveral. The vehicle will coast for more than an hour before the second stage is re-ignited.

0938 GMT (5:38 a.m. EDT)

T+plus 12 minutes. The rocket has successfully achieved a parking orbit with an apogee of 90.09 miles, perigee of 89.98 miles and inclination of 28.5 degrees. That is right on the pre-planned orbit parameters.

The second stage engine will re-start at T+plus 73 minutes. No telemetry from the rocket is expected until then.
Stu
QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 4 2007, 10:34 AM) *
Away on time, beautifully.

Yep, beautiful even on my shuddery, kaleidescopic Real Player window on dialup...!

Lost count of the number of times I've heard a launch commentator say "T minus 10... 9... 8..." but it still makes me sit forward in my chair and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up...
mchan
ken, stu, folks are on chat, click doug's link above
paxdan
stu come join us in the Live Chat, we're killilng time till 2nd stage restart
punkboi
Third stage ignition!
abalone
1056 GMT (6:56 a.m. EDT)

T+plus 90 minutes, 20 seconds. The Deep Space Network tracking site in Goldstone, California, has acquired a signal from the Phoenix spacecraft.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/phoenix/status.html
Signal aquired!!!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
abalone
Data from Phoenix indicates the spacecraft reorienting itself to point its solar arrays toward the sun, a NASA spokesman says.

We are on our way!!!
smile.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif
mars loon
update from spaceflightnow.com

1210 GMT (8:10 a.m. EDT)

"The launch team did a spectacular job getting us on the way," said Barry Goldstein, Phoenix project manager. "Our trajectory is still being evaluated in detail; however we are well within expected limits for a successful journey to the red planet. We are all thrilled!"

and more from space.com
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/07080..._launchday.html

Red Planet Rising: NASA's Phoenix Probe Launches Towards Mars
By Tariq Malik
and Dave Mosher
posted: 4 August 2007

This story was updated at 7:09 a.m. ET (1109 GMT)

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander lit up the predawn Florida sky Saturday, launching spaceward on a mission to determine whether the planet could have once supported primitive life.

A United Launch Alliance Delta 2 rocket launched Phoenix towards Mars at 5:26:34 a.m. EDT (0926:34 GMT) from Pad 17A at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Cape Canaveral, Florida. The three-stage booster is bound for the flat northern plains of Vastitas Borealis near the martian north pole, where it is expected to dig into and sample the region's icy soil with its eight-foot (2.4-meter) robotic arm.
ustrax
Wow...Wow! WOW!!!

Strange creatures we are...getting all excited, with tears in the eyes by seing a machine rising above a pilar of flames into the skies... smile.gif

May now the journey be safe!

WOW!
Zvezdichko
Yes, Go, Phoenix!

And we want an article on SpacEurope smile.gif
ustrax
QUOTE (Zvezdichko @ Aug 4 2007, 03:34 PM) *
Yes, Go, Phoenix!

And we want an article on SpacEurope smile.gif

Let's see what we can do...I could do one on how the beach looks so incredible right now... tongue.gif
gndonald
QUOTE (Zvezdichko @ Aug 4 2007, 10:34 PM) *
Yes, Go, Phoenix!

Next Stop... mars.gif !!
Zvezdichko
We have another Mars vehicle for this year... Dawn! Eh, only a flyby, but it's better than nothing smile.gif

Currently there's a press conference on NASA TV. The spacecraft is in an excellent health
Stu
QUOTE (Zvezdichko @ Aug 4 2007, 03:34 PM) *
Yes, Go, Phoenix!

Some nice launch pics on here...

http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/194929
Tom Tamlyn
Does anyone understand what the 20 minute telemetry problem was?

Was it simply a problem getting data from the receiving stations to KSC?

TTT
scalbers
I noticed that there's a 9 minute NASA TV launch replay posted on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PDAGcmUdTI
abalone
QUOTE (scalbers @ Aug 5 2007, 06:14 AM) *
I noticed that there's a 9 minute NASA TV launch replay posted on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PDAGcmUdTI

Great to watch, have played it about 5 times
ustrax
Guys...Please just read the Peter Smith's reaction...
A mission with a PI like this can only be...incredible... biggrin.gif
Pure poetry!
I can't wait... rolleyes.gif
nprev
Yes, that was poetic, Rui. smile.gif I'm personally impressed that Peter Smith knows something of observational astronomy...get the feeling that he's making a life-long dream come true, and that's always a wonderful thing to watch!
ustrax
QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 5 2007, 06:29 PM) *
...get the feeling that he's making a life-long dream come true, and that's always a wonderful thing to watch!

Couldn't agree more, there is nothing more fullfilling than to see that glow in the eyes of some people's words... smile.gif
To quote you...wonderful!
mars loon
QUOTE (ustrax @ Aug 5 2007, 05:33 PM) *
there is nothing more fullfilling than to see that glow in the eyes of some people's words... smile.gif

Peter Smith was quite eloquent after launch. It was such a pleasure to hear his moving and poetic story of the launch and the cloud of "Phoenix Bird" rising !

His eyes were absolutely glowing

He'll be a great PI with martian tales we'll long remember mars.gif

be sure to take the time and listen to a replay of Saturday's press conference
Astro0
While watching the launch, the engine plume reminded me more of the Phoenix Rising.
Click to view attachment

I think Peter Smith's phoenix in the cloud trail was good too, but the plume really caught my attention.
Hopefully all these spirit's of the Phoenix flying about will bode well for the rest of the mission.

Astro0
climber
QUOTE (mars loon @ Aug 5 2007, 11:55 PM) *
be sure to take the time and listen to a replay of Saturday's press conference

Any link to this ?
climber
You'll see here two pictures of the launch including what Peter Smith was saying about the trajectory throught the constellations and onward to Mars :

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/phoenix/launchgallery/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.